Latest topics
» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm by tornpage

» Brother Andre Marie MICM, the Prior at the St. Benedict Center does not correct Frs.Brian Harrison and Cekada,Bishops Sanborn,Pirvanus,Kelly and Fellay
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:24 pm by MRyan

» Revisiting Diocese/Parish Screening Policy
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 pm by MRyan

» When sedes and trads can accept that Pius XII made a mistake then popes since John XXIII are no more in heresy
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:08 pm by MRyan

» Doctrinal talks were conducted with Fr.Gleize on 'the other side'
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Pope Benedict permitted Fr. Jean Marie Gleize to lead in doctrinal talks since he was a liberal ?
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Padre Pio told Fr.Gabriel Amorth," It is Satan who has been introduced into the bosom of the Church and within a very short time will come to rule a false Church" -Bishop Richard Williamson
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:14 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Mons. Brunero Gherardini misled the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and many traditionalists
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:18 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Official statement from SSPX awaited : Fr.Gleize and other theologians have got it wrong
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:10 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Brother Andre Marie MICM too is teaching error : Bishop Sanborn cannot report at the Chancery office
Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:50 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Magsiterial Heresy ?
Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:36 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Magisterium should apologise to the SSPX for the excommunication of Archbishop Lefebvre
Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:34 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Brother Francis MICM made a mistake on Vatican Council II
Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:14 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Legion of Christ universities in Rome adapt to leftist laws
Fri May 22, 2015 7:53 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» CM, SSPX, MICM deny the Faith to please superiors
Thu May 21, 2015 4:44 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» SSPX and Church Militant are using the same liberal theology and are unaware of it
Wed May 20, 2015 9:54 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Michael Voris uses liberal theology and yet critcizes Michael Coren
Tue May 19, 2015 10:10 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fr.John Zuhlsdorf condones Mass for suicide
Tue May 19, 2015 9:18 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Vatican Council II is traditional or liberal depending on how you interpret the Letter of the Holy Office
Mon May 18, 2015 5:57 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Church Militant unable to answer questions on extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Sun May 17, 2015 5:55 am by Lionel L. Andrades


Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:38 pm

I have a question.....is the act of contrition necessary for the validity of confession?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:10 pm

You have to BE contrite, but saying an official Act of Contrition is not necessary. Sometimes when lines are long, priests ask penitents to say their 'act of contrition' in the pew before reciting their penance. It is not one of my favorite practices, but it does not invalidate a Confession.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:46 pm

MarianLibrarian wrote:You have to BE contrite, but saying an official Act of Contrition is not necessary. Sometimes when lines are long, priests ask penitents to say their 'act of contrition' in the pew before reciting their penance. It is not one of my favorite practices, but it does not invalidate a Confession.

At first I used to not like that, but I kind of like it better than doing it when they are giving absolution, because then you can concentrate on the words of absolution--hearing them.

Confession is really the abused sacrament. I mean of course the Mass is the center of everything but I think confession has suffered the most.
Its hard to find a good confessor and I don't think priests are trained well on how to be a good confessors. Even St. Padre Pio seemed a little too harsh, to me.
I like what one saint said, which one I forgot but it was like this: "Lion in the pulpit and lamb in the confessional."
People have to sense the priest feels compassion for those he absolves. I have gone to some trad. and Neo. Catholic priest that just came off too cold. On the other hand I don't like the "psychologist" priests that feels like he has to convince me I didn't sin or on and on advice.

It seems to be a lost art: To correct and encourage

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Roguejim on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:32 pm

duckbill wrote:
MarianLibrarian wrote:You have to BE contrite, but saying an official Act of Contrition is not necessary. Sometimes when lines are long, priests ask penitents to say their 'act of contrition' in the pew before reciting their penance. It is not one of my favorite practices, but it does not invalidate a Confession.

At first I used to not like that, but I kind of like it better than doing it when they are giving absolution, because then you can concentrate on the words of absolution--hearing them.

Confession is really the abused sacrament. I mean of course the Mass is the center of everything but I think confession has suffered the most.
Its hard to find a good confessor and I don't think priests are trained well on how to be a good confessors. Even St. Padre Pio seemed a little too harsh, to me.
I like what one saint said, which one I forgot but it was like this: "Lion in the pulpit and lamb in the confessional."
People have to sense the priest feels compassion for those he absolves. I have gone to some trad. and Neo. Catholic priest that just came off too cold. On the other hand I don't like the "psychologist" priests that feels like he has to convince me I didn't sin or on and on advice.

It seems to be a lost art: To correct and encourage

That's interesting. I never go into the confessional other than to hear the words of absolution. Maybe I've never been to a good confessor.
avatar
Roguejim

Posts : 211
Reputation : 315
Join date : 2010-12-18
Location : southern Oregon

Back to top Go down

Re: Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:21 am


The specific reason I ask is that due to the problem of having been given incorrect forms of absolution in the past by Novus Ordo priests (and being advised by a trusted priest friend to then seek out another priest who lives in another state to give proper absolution) I have gotten into the habit of listening very carefully for the words "I absolve you...." when receiving absolution. The problem is that many priests have you say the act of contrition during the absolution which makes it hard to hear of they are using the proper formula and indeed giving absolution. Therefore occasionally I don't finish saying it for this reason . (Sometimes I say it when I get out of the confessional, but I think a few times I may have forgotten or neglected to do this due to the fact that the confession was during Mass etc.) I know this is a bad habit and I wish to remedy it

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 am

Roguejim wrote:
duckbill wrote:
MarianLibrarian wrote:You have to BE contrite, but saying an official Act of Contrition is not necessary. Sometimes when lines are long, priests ask penitents to say their 'act of contrition' in the pew before reciting their penance. It is not one of my favorite practices, but it does not invalidate a Confession.

At first I used to not like that, but I kind of like it better than doing it when they are giving absolution, because then you can concentrate on the words of absolution--hearing them.

Confession is really the abused sacrament. I mean of course the Mass is the center of everything but I think confession has suffered the most.
Its hard to find a good confessor and I don't think priests are trained well on how to be a good confessors. Even St. Padre Pio seemed a little too harsh, to me.
I like what one saint said, which one I forgot but it was like this: "Lion in the pulpit and lamb in the confessional."
People have to sense the priest feels compassion for those he absolves. I have gone to some trad. and Neo. Catholic priest that just came off too cold. On the other hand I don't like the "psychologist" priests that feels like he has to convince me I didn't sin or on and on advice.

It seems to be a lost art: To correct and encourage

That's interesting. I never go into the confessional other than to hear the words of absolution. Maybe I've never been to a good confessor.
well what happens to me with conservative /trad priests is they ask me to make an act of contrition and as I start to say it out loud they start to give me absolution, so yes, I do listen for those words but at the same time I am trying to say the act well too. It is kind of hectic at the most important time. Sorta like being distracted during consecration.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:35 pm

I think it was the practice for the priest to pronounce the words of absolution while the penitent made an act of contrition... the traditional priest here pronounces the words of absolution towards the end of the act of contrition (pretty much when I get to the words "I firmly resolve with the help of Thy grace...") he starts with absolution in Latin ("Ego te absolvo...") which he does regardless of whether he's hearing them before an English or Latin Mass. It's never been distracting to me, but I guess it would be a lot harder for the priest to mess with the words of absolution in Latin.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Act of contrition necessary for validity of confession?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum