Latest topics
» The SSPX (SOS-Resistance) does not clarify if they are referring to Vatican Council II with or without the premise.
Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:52 pm by Lionel Andrades

» Cantarella understands that the baptism of desire is not an exception to the dogma extra ecclesiam nulla salus: extend the reasoning to Vatican Council II
Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:12 pm by Lionel Andrades

» The SSPX uses the same irrational theology of the Letter of the Holy Office 1949 in its interpretation of Vatican Council II
Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:03 am by Lionel Andrades

» The Holy Office 1949 made a mistake. Cardinal Marchetti-Selvaggiani assumed there are known exceptions to extra ecclesiam nulla salus-Cantarella
Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:57 am by Lionel Andrades

» Factual error of Pope Pius XII influences departments of USCCB:major error, public heresy
Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 pm by Lionel Andrades

» Baptism of Desire cannot be a visible exception to Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus, since we cannot see the dead - Cantarella
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:09 am by Lionel Andrades

» Where does the Letter of the Holy Office 1949 wrongly mention deceased 'visible to us'? Here it does!
Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:21 pm by Lionel Andrades

» Lombardi says Franciscans of the Immaculate a 'delicate subject' : ignores Vatican's doctrinal ambiguities
Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:43 am by Lionel Andrades

» Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate forced to proclaim a lie
Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:56 pm by Lionel Andrades

» Relatives of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate : ask the Vatican and the Sisters to clarify these points on doctrine
Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:52 am by Lionel Andrades

» Catechism of the Catholic Church affirms exclusive salvation in the Catholic Church : no contradiction
Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:52 am by Lionel Andrades

» Franciscans of the Immaculate and the Vatican's X-Files : irrational oath
Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:10 am by Lionel Andrades

» Factual Errors in the Letter of the Holy Office 1949
Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:38 am by Lionel Andrades

» Fr.Fehlner has to accept the Batman-Version of Vatican Council II : Franciscans of the Immaculate are still receiving threats on doctrine
Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:03 am by Lionel Andrades

» Book on Vatican Council II ignores the false premise : Michael Davis, Romano Amerio, Dietrich von Hildebrand unaware
Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:14 am by Lionel Andrades

» Millions of Muslims devoted to Our Lady and eager for exorcism
Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 am by Lionel Andrades

»  Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre's Against the Heresies is heretical?
Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:58 am by Lionel Andrades

» Is the SSPX General Chapter Statement 2012 contradicting the Letter of the Holy Office 1949 regarding Fr.Leonard Feeney ?
Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 am by Lionel Andrades

» Fr. Paul Kramer infers cases of the baptism of desire are visible for us.So they are exceptions to the dogma for him
Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 am by Lionel Andrades

» Pope meets Franciscans of the Immaculate : seminary to remain closed
Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:16 am by Lionel Andrades

Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:25 pm

The following is a scan from the current issue of the Wanderer (Vol 143, No.7- Feb 17, 2011) in which Fr. Harrison corrects them for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino.

I have not seen the previous issue with the Wanderer article where they contradict Cantate Domino. If you have it please let me know. I would like to get my hands on it.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO READ FULL ARTICLE!!!

Back to top Go down

Re: Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

Post  MRyan on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Good for Fr. Harrison! Excellent reply.

MRyan

Back to top Go down

Re: Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:19 pm

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3436623.0.html

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=537582

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Good article. However, I wish that Father Harrison would have pointed out the fact that original sin, in addition to personal sin, is sufficient in and of itself to send someone to at least the Hell of Separation, also known as Limbo. Only Baptism, or at least the implicit desire for it, in addition to explicit faith in Christ would cleanse one's soul from the stain of original sin.

Jehanne

http://unamsanctamecclesiamcatholicam.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Jehanne wrote:Only Baptism, or at least the implicit desire for it, in addition to explicit faith in Christ would cleanse one's soul from the stain of original sin.

Someone get the smelling salt ... this can't be. I must be hallucinating.

MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:19 pm

No, you're not. I consider the "implicit desire" arguments regarding Baptism to be irrelevant to Father Feeney's teachings. If someone has explicit faith in Christ and genuine, albeit, implicit desire for Baptism, then the One and Triune God is certainly capable of insuring that such an individual does not pass from this life without Baptism of Water. Likewise, if some virtuous Jew, pagan, infidel, etc., lives a virtuous life but dies without explicit faith in Christ but also without mortal sin, the One and Triune God may have seen to it that such an individual was baptized in his or infancy, without that person's knowledge. For me, this is a more pleasing theological solution than Father Harrison's "salutary repentance" at death, because it ensures, absolutely, the salvation of the "non-Catholic" (sic). However, Father Harrison's solution is perfectly orthodox.

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:31 am

WOW! Nice find Rasha!! Good for Fr. Harrison! I thought he was starting to chicken out. I haven't heard much from him (except through Jim).

There is one problem I have though, and it is a detail worth noting, Fr. Harrison wrote:"... if those who don't yet know the Gospel persevere in following conscience and natural law to the best of their ability, then God will somehow see to it, by either ordinary or extraordinary means, that they hear the Gospel and receive the gift of faith in Christ before the moment of death."

It is not OUR ability but our reception to the graces God gives. This is a common mistake by BoDers.
We can NOT earn salvation! Nothing we do can merit the gift of Faith. The impression from his comment is that if a person follows his conscience he will earn the gift/grace of Faith, but he should have said that the person responding to the graces God gives to follow his conscience. My protestant friends would notice his comment as semi-peleginan and I believe they would be right. Vatican II makes it clear that these people NEED to accept the graces that lead to Faith and salvation:
“…Those who through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ of
His Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart,
and moved by grace, try
in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience –
those too may achieve eternal salvation."
Lumen Gentium 2, 16

There are no good works done by ourselves to merit the grace of Faith. It is a gift given to those who respond to the Actual Graces given by God, which lead us to salvation (=Sacrament of Baptism--sorry MRyan- I am still holding on to The sacrament is necessary in the new dispensation -no exceptions Very Happy ) I don't think Fr. Harrison would disagree with my critique, of the necessity of grace to lead us to follow our conscience. It is already clearly understood by him, I am sure, but clarity is necessary in this dialog.

That being said, brovo for him!! at least to Wanderer people his point is SHOCKING! and closer than most of Wanderer readers have ever seen.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10 am

Father Harrison is following Saint Thomas:

"Everyone is bound to believe something explicitly...even if someone is brought up in the forest or among wild beasts. For it pertains to Divine Providence to furnish everyone with what is necessary for salvation, provided that on his part there is no hindrance. Thus, if someone so brought up followed the direction of natural reason in seeking good and avoiding evil, we must most certainly hold that God would either reveal to him through internal inspiration what had to be believed, or he would send some preacher of the faith to him as He sent Peter to Cornelius (Acts 10:20)."

More here:

http://www.marycoredemptrix.com/CenterReview/3_2005_Native.pdf

Jehanne

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum