Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

2 posters

Go down

Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino Empty Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

Post  Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:25 pm

The following is a scan from the current issue of the Wanderer (Vol 143, No.7- Feb 17, 2011) in which Fr. Harrison corrects them for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino.

I have not seen the previous issue with the Wanderer article where they contradict Cantate Domino. If you have it please let me know. I would like to get my hands on it.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO READ FULL ARTICLE!!!

Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino Frharr10

Back to top Go down

Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino Empty Re: Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

Post  MRyan Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Good for Fr. Harrison! Excellent reply.
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino Empty Re: Fr. Harrison corrects The Wanderer for their misinterpretation of Cantate Domino

Post  Jehanne Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Good article. However, I wish that Father Harrison would have pointed out the fact that original sin, in addition to personal sin, is sufficient in and of itself to send someone to at least the Hell of Separation, also known as Limbo. Only Baptism, or at least the implicit desire for it, in addition to explicit faith in Christ would cleanse one's soul from the stain of original sin.
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Jehanne wrote:Only Baptism, or at least the implicit desire for it, in addition to explicit faith in Christ would cleanse one's soul from the stain of original sin.

Someone get the smelling salt ... this can't be. I must be hallucinating.
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:19 pm

No, you're not. I consider the "implicit desire" arguments regarding Baptism to be irrelevant to Father Feeney's teachings. If someone has explicit faith in Christ and genuine, albeit, implicit desire for Baptism, then the One and Triune God is certainly capable of insuring that such an individual does not pass from this life without Baptism of Water. Likewise, if some virtuous Jew, pagan, infidel, etc., lives a virtuous life but dies without explicit faith in Christ but also without mortal sin, the One and Triune God may have seen to it that such an individual was baptized in his or infancy, without that person's knowledge. For me, this is a more pleasing theological solution than Father Harrison's "salutary repentance" at death, because it ensures, absolutely, the salvation of the "non-Catholic" (sic). However, Father Harrison's solution is perfectly orthodox.
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:31 am

WOW! Nice find Rasha!! Good for Fr. Harrison! I thought he was starting to chicken out. I haven't heard much from him (except through Jim).

There is one problem I have though, and it is a detail worth noting, Fr. Harrison wrote:"... if those who don't yet know the Gospel persevere in following conscience and natural law to the best of their ability, then God will somehow see to it, by either ordinary or extraordinary means, that they hear the Gospel and receive the gift of faith in Christ before the moment of death."

It is not OUR ability but our reception to the graces God gives. This is a common mistake by BoDers.
We can NOT earn salvation! Nothing we do can merit the gift of Faith. The impression from his comment is that if a person follows his conscience he will earn the gift/grace of Faith, but he should have said that the person responding to the graces God gives to follow his conscience. My protestant friends would notice his comment as semi-peleginan and I believe they would be right. Vatican II makes it clear that these people NEED to accept the graces that lead to Faith and salvation:
“…Those who through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ of
His Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart,
and moved by grace, try
in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience –
those too may achieve eternal salvation."
Lumen Gentium 2, 16

There are no good works done by ourselves to merit the grace of Faith. It is a gift given to those who respond to the Actual Graces given by God, which lead us to salvation (=Sacrament of Baptism--sorry MRyan- I am still holding on to The sacrament is necessary in the new dispensation -no exceptions Very Happy ) I don't think Fr. Harrison would disagree with my critique, of the necessity of grace to lead us to follow our conscience. It is already clearly understood by him, I am sure, but clarity is necessary in this dialog.

That being said, brovo for him!! at least to Wanderer people his point is SHOCKING! and closer than most of Wanderer readers have ever seen.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Father Harrison is following Saint Thomas:

"Everyone is bound to believe something explicitly...even if someone is brought up in the forest or among wild beasts. For it pertains to Divine Providence to furnish everyone with what is necessary for salvation, provided that on his part there is no hindrance. Thus, if someone so brought up followed the direction of natural reason in seeking good and avoiding evil, we must most certainly hold that God would either reveal to him through internal inspiration what had to be believed, or he would send some preacher of the faith to him as He sent Peter to Cornelius (Acts 10:20)."

More here:

http://www.marycoredemptrix.com/CenterReview/3_2005_Native.pdf
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down