Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday

2 posters

Go down

Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday Empty Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday

Post  otremer6 Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:57 am

Rabbi Takes Over Priest's Role at Midwestern Basilica's Good Friday Prayer Service

Tancred
The Eponymous Flower
4/23/11
http://eponymousflower.blogspot.com/...s-role-at.html

Lucinda Naylor is the former "artist in residence" who was fired from her position at the Basilica of St. Mary's in Minneapolis for opposing Archbishop John Nienstedt's pastoral CD regarding the defense of marriage. For a time, her paintings disappeared from the Basilica's walls where the homosexual painter's works are said to be stations of the Cross. They have since returned, as the Basilica itself plays host to a man who does not hold the Catholic Faith, but is tolerated to preach.

As a reform rabbi took over the prayer service from the pastor of the parish, Father John Bauer, a wooden cross was passed around over the heads of the crowd like at a rock concert. Doctor van Parys, who's responsible for that spectacle, contrasts his good Friday Liturgy and celebration with those which came before, by saying that before, it was an opportunity for Christians to persecute the Jews,

“Prior to the Second Vatican Coun*cil, Good Friday was seen as a day when Catholics would traditionally persecute the Jewish people, blaming them for the death of Christ. Jews would literally hide from Catholics on that day,” said van Parys. “We thought it would be a jarring yet enlightening experience to invite a rabbi to speak to our congregation during Tenebrae.”[Tenebrae is what they referred to as their Good Friday Service]

The Diocesan newspaper is unconcerned and unmoved by the strange oddities taking place at this prayer service, with rose petals falling from the ceiling and a moment when there is a whimsical and cultic bedlam as the lights are turned down and the laity bang their pews for about five minutes in the darkness, as if to waken things below that would be better left asleep.

Laymen may not preach, may certainly not preach vague humanistic messages having nothing to do with the Gospel.

otremer6

Back to top Go down

Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday Empty Re: Rabbi Commandeers Catholic Basilica for Good Friday

Post  DeSelby Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:35 pm

otremer6 wrote:As a reform rabbi took over the prayer service from the pastor of the parish, Father John Bauer, a wooden cross was passed around over the heads of the crowd like at a rock concert. Doctor van Parys, who's responsible for that spectacle, contrasts his good Friday Liturgy and celebration with those which came before, by saying that before, it was an opportunity for Christians to persecute the Jews...

...So now, if we accept his false premise for a moment, it's an opportunity for Jews (along with heterodox "Catholics") to persecute Catholics?

I guess so.

otremer6 wrote:“Prior to the Second Vatican Coun*cil, Good Friday was seen as a day when Catholics would traditionally persecute the Jewish people, blaming them for the death of Christ. Jews would literally hide from Catholics on that day,” said van Parys. “We thought it would be a jarring yet enlightening experience to invite a rabbi to speak to our congregation during Tenebrae.”[Tenebrae is what they referred to as their Good Friday Service]

And, no doubt, they prayed for him to remain "faithful to the covenant."

otremer6 wrote:...Doctor van Parys, who's responsible for that spectacle...

I found an interview with Doctor vanParys at http://www.faithfactors.com/bsm/bsmwhole.htm

Here are some "tells" as the poker players say:

Dr. vanParys wrote:Good liturgy happens when it's not inward navel-gazing activity. Good liturgy happens when it is outward and sends people into world to be Christ to the world. Last night I did a talk on celebration of the Eucharist. Catholics are so tempted to give great respect to Christ present in the Eucharist. In the Word proclaimed, in the people gathered, the presider, but above all in the sacred bread and wine, the blessed Sacrament. And I told them this story, that one year it was the feast of Corpus Christi, where we above all celebrate the body and blood of Christ, and we had no priest here, so we couldn't really do a Mass, which is quite wrong. But it gave me the occasion to do what I had always wanted to do, which was get into the pulpit and yell out 'You are the body of Christ'. So the presentation last night about the celebration of the Eucharist really became a talk about how we are called to be Eucharist to the world, to be the body of Christ to the world for the salvation of the world.

Dr. vanParys wrote: Archbishop Ireland in the early parts of century decided he was going to build two churches - one in St. Paul to seat 3000, and then one in Minneapolis as well. It's uncertain why he wanted to build this church, but gossiping tongues say that St. Paul was already a bastion of Catholicism whereas Minneapolis was rather a bastion of Lutheranism. Those gossiping tongues say that maybe he thought that if he built a monument to Catholicism in Minneapolis that Catholicism would grow there. Whether that's the case or not, I think what he did build was a beacon of faith, of hope, and of light in the landscape of Minneapolis. That became so clear on September 11. That day I was in the church doing my usual things and my cell phone rang, I had forgotten to turn if off. It was my father calling from Belgium and he said 'Have you been watching the news?' I said 'No, I'm in the church'. And he said you'd better go and turn on CNN and watch what's going on. So I did. And as I stood there amazed with my colleagues, the telephone started to ring. Hundreds of calls. There were some people we could recognize as parishioners but many weren't. By 10.30 am we had decided we had to have a prayer service. It was on news by 11 o'clock and we did do a prayer service. As I walked into the church, it was an inter-faith service, I recognized people from the back. There were many backs I did not recognize. There were people wearing the yamakah __________, there were people there who were wearing the traditional Muslim dress, there were some Tibetan monks in their saffron robes. This place has become a beacon not for Catholicism but it has become a beacon of faith, hope, love, peace, justice; where people can come whatever state they're in. That became very clear on that dramatic day, but I think it's the case every day to a lesser extent. Why people come here, why young people come here, is probably for those reasons. Because this is a beacon of something else. It's a beacon that goes beyond one denominational structure. Although of course obviously we are a Roman Catholic cathedral church. Rather than limiting us I think it opens us up to many more possibilities.

Dr. vanParys wrote:First of all, this motto, traditional church and a modern message. I think if you're going to go to church you may as well go to a church that looks like a church. Our unashamedly being Catholic and yet being respectful and welcoming of those who are not. Our embracing of diversity. No matter who you are you are welcome here, we have a totally open door policy. That does not mean that we do not tell everybody that these are the official teachings of the Catholic Church. You are welcome here. But remember, these are the teachings, and if you really want to belong here, you need to consider these. Ultimately we will not say 'if you don't consider them you are not a member', because ultimately we believe that a person's individual conscience goes above any church authority, which is essential Roman Catholic teaching.

otremer6 wrote:The Diocesan newspaper is unconcerned and unmoved by the strange oddities taking place at this prayer service, with rose petals falling from the ceiling and a moment when there is a whimsical and cultic bedlam as the lights are turned down and the laity bang their pews for about five minutes in the darkness, as if to waken things below that would be better left asleep.

Well, from the same interview I quoted above, I'll let vanParys have the last word:

Dr. vanParys wrote:I'm much better at pastoral work than I ever thought I would be and the parish is much more of an academically inspiring place than I thought it might be. Our congregation is highly educated and expects well thought out speech and activities. So that works well.
DeSelby
DeSelby

Back to top Go down