Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT!

3 posters

Go down

faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! Empty Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT!

Post  tornpage Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 pm

From Ludovicus's "Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus" Blog:

Here is an excerpt of an interview with Cardinal Arinze, during a group discussion of religious leaders from around the world, held at the Thanksgiving World Assembly in Dallas, Texas, March 1999. Cardinal Arinze addresses various questions; I have quoted the relevant portion below.

"Tyson: It seems to me that one of the barriers to interreligious dialogue, at least on the Christian side, is the kind of exclusivistic claim that, in fact, if you don't believe in Jesus Christ, you will not be in the right with God.

Arinze: "Nostra Aetate" (a document from the Second Vatican Council) says that God's grant of salvation includes not only Christians, but Jews, Muslims, Hindus and people of good will. That is, a person can be saved, can attain salvation, but on the condition that the person is open to God's action.

Robert Ashley, news director at a Dallas radio station: So was Jesus wrong when He said He was the way, the truth and the life?

Arinze: He was right. He IS the way, the truth and the life. If you believe that, you will become a Christian (audience laughter). Only God knows to what extent a person is sincere, what opportunities the person has, and how the person used those opportunities. Only God can assess all that, and He never appointed any of us part of that advisory council (more laughter).

If a person were to push what you said a little further and say, if you're not a Christian, you're not going to heaven, we'd regard that person as a fundamentalist … and theologically wrong. It is quite another matter to say that one religion is as good as another. That is, it doesn't matter to what religion you belong. Religion is not put together that way: You change the rules and change the goalposts if you can't score. No, no, no. (But we do) believe that every religion has elements that are true and noble and good. How will it work out? I can't tell you. But we know that Christ, who says, "I am the way, the truth and the light," died on the Cross for everyone.

I met in Pakistan a Muslim. People would go to him. He had a wonderful concept of the Koran. We were like two twins that had known one another from birth. And I was in admiration of this man's wisdom. I think that man will go to heaven. But I am not the one who opens the door (audience laughter).

There was a Buddhist in Kyoto, in Japan. This man, a good man, was open, listening, humble. I was amazed. I listened to his words of wisdom, and I said to myself, "The grace of God is working in this man." I noticed that the more they were devoted to their religion and I to my religion, the more we met one another even though I didn't know their language. There is a language of the heart. So if you meet a person, if both of you are devoted to God, both of you will be nearer to one another than two professors of two religions who don't practice what they preach but can elucubrate from morning till evening.

Ashley: So you can still get to heaven without accepting Jesus?
Arinze: Expressly, yes.
(He laughs with audience.)"

http://outsidethechurchnosalvation.blogspot.com/2009/07/cardinal-arinze-on-implicit-faith.html

I think there was a topic on this at Pasc's place.

These men do not appear to share my faith, and I'm having a hard time with that.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! Empty Re: Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT!

Post  Guest Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:57 pm

The "(audience laughter)" part of that transcript says more than anything else...

That last bit, about not explicitly ("expressly") accepting Jesus and getting into heaven is complete and utter baloney (to put it nicely). That's like saying a person could be in heaven who didn't want to be there, or had no idea how he got there. There is not some Buddhist/Muslim/et. al. in heaven who says to himself "I love God, but I'm not too sure about that Jesus stuff"... Nonsense!

Back to top Go down

faith - Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT! Empty Re: Cardinal Arinze on the Necessity of Explicit Faith in Christ: NOT!

Post  columba Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:32 pm

The Muslim and the Buddhist probably HAVE more faith than that guy.
He certainly won't convert them.
columba
columba

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 pm

tornpage wrote:These men do not appear to share my faith, and I'm having a hard time with that.

He's definitely not dribbling at "center count"; question is if he is "in bounds" or not. To answer your question from another thread, a "Feeneyite" is, from my perspective at least, someone (a Catholic, of course), who is of the theological opinion that whomever the One and Triune God predestines to the eternal beatitude, His elect, are also predestined by Him (due to His Sovereignty, Providence, and Perfection) to receive Sacramental Baptism in Water. (If you hold to this opinion, then, yes, you are a "Feeneyite.") Given the Muslim and Buddhist friends whom Cardinal Arinze met, perhaps they were sacramentally baptized, unknown to them, in their infancies, and perhaps, at "death's door," they will both receive salutary repentance, allowing them to pass into Purgatory, escaping Hell.
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 pm

We're all in the same choir here - on this issue at least.

Jehanne writes:

To answer your question from another thread, a "Feeneyite" is, from my perspective at least, someone (a Catholic, of course), who is of the theological opinion that whomever the One and Triune God predestines to the eternal beatitude, His elect, are also predestined by Him (due to His Sovereignty, Providence, and Perfection) to receive Sacramental Baptism in Water. (If you hold to this opinion, then, yes, you are a "Feeneyite.")

Well then, I guess I am a "Feeneyite" - according to Jehanne.

tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down