Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith

2 posters

Go down

faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith Empty Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith

Post  Roguejim Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:54 pm

I just finished reading, for the second time, Chesterton's The Everlasting Man. Even if I can't always get my mind around his thought, especially when he starts referencing ancient mythologies, I take what I can get. And from the chapter here, I take a great hope.

http://www.worldinvisible.com/library/chesterton/everlasting/part2c6.htm
Roguejim
Roguejim

Back to top Go down

faith - Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith Empty Re: Chesterton: The Five Deaths of the Faith

Post  MRyan Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Roguejim wrote:I just finished reading, for the second time, Chesterton's The Everlasting Man. Even if I can't always get my mind around his thought, especially when he starts referencing ancient mythologies, I take what I can get. And from the chapter here, I take a great hope.

http://www.worldinvisible.com/library/chesterton/everlasting/part2c6.htm
The Everlasting Man is one of my favorites; the other being Orthodoxy, of course:

http://www.leaderu.com/cyber/books/orthodoxy/orthodoxy.html

And one of my favorite passages from the same:

VI--The Paradoxes of Christianity

This is the thrilling romance of Orthodoxy. People have fallen into a foolish habit of speaking of orthodoxy as something heavy, humdrum, and safe. There never was anything so perilous or so exciting as orthodoxy. It was sanity: and to be sane is more dramatic than to be mad. It was the equilibrium of a man behind madly rushing horses, seeming to stoop this way and to sway that, yet in every attitude having the grace of statuary and the accuracy of arithmetic. The Church in its early days went fierce and fast with any warhorse; yet it is utterly unhistoric to say that she merely went mad along one idea, like a vulgar fanaticism. She swerved to left and right, so exactly as to avoid enormous obstacles. She left on one hand the huge bulk of Arianism, buttressed by all the worldly powers to make Christianity too worldly. The next instant she was swerving to avoid an orientalism, which would have made it too unworldly. The orthodox Church never took the tame course or accepted the conventions; the orthodox Church was never respectable. It would have been easier to have accepted the earthly power of the Arians. It would have been easy, in the Calvinistic seventeenth century, to fall into the bottomless pit of predestination. It is easy to be a madman: it is easy to be a heretic. It is always easy to let the age have its head; the difficult thing is to keep one's own. It is always easy to be a modernist; as it is easy to be a snob. To have fallen into any of those open traps of error and exaggeration which fashion after fashion and sect after sect set along the historic path of Christendom -- that would indeed have been simple. It is always simple to fall; there are an infinity of angles at which one falls, only one at which one stands. To have fallen into any one of the fads from Gnosticism to Christian Science would indeed have been obvious and tame. But to have avoided them all has been one whirling adventure; and in my vision the heavenly chariot flies thundering through the ages, the dull heresies sprawling and prostrate, the wild truth reeling but erect.”
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down