Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

is Jesus immortal or Eternal ?

3 posters

Go down

is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? Empty is Jesus immortal or Eternal ?

Post  Catholic_Truth Mon May 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Seems to me that an immortal is a mortal(human being) who can never die, whether we are talking about the physical body and/or the soul. So the Saints could be considered to be immortal by the grace of God. However, it doesn't seem right to claim Jesus is immortal since he was never a mortal(human being). Jesus had a human nature, but remained Divine in "person" and in 'being". Therefore, it seems that only the term Eternal can apply to Jesus since Jesus had no beginning and was never a mortal.

The Divine Mercy prayer calls God by the term "Holy Immortal One",... Sister Faustina from my understanding received that prayer from Jesus himself when he appeared to her.

Also, from my understanding, before Vatican II the Divine Mercy apparition occurrence was being condemned by the Church, but later was revived by John Paul II.

So, what are your thoughts on this?
Catholic_Truth
Catholic_Truth

http://www.PaltalkExpress.com

Back to top Go down

is Jesus immortal or Eternal ? Empty Re: is Jesus immortal or Eternal ?

Post  MRyan Tue May 08, 2012 9:57 am

I think you received a pretty good answer at Catholic Answers to the identical question (http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=673367):

First, as far as I understand it, immortal simply means "not subject to death" in which case this would be fully applicable to God.

Second, I think you are confused in your understanding of the incarnation. Jesus is one Divine person with two natures, one human and one Divine. In other words, Jesus is both fully God and fully man. Even if immortal were something that was only applicable to humans it could still be said of the person Jesus because of His human nature, although it would be true that it could never be said of the Divine nature of Christ. So, to use an example that is only applicable to humans, it is fine to say that the Divine person of Jesus died because we are talking about the Divine person with respect to His human nature, not with respect to His Divine nature.
And:

He is eternal. His flesh, which has a beginning, is immortal, being raised form the dead in glorified form. So, it is both/and rather than either/or.
I would add simply that since God is one infinite eternal substance of which we are all a part - we find the source of our immortality in God. Jesus is God, ergo

As to “before Vatican II the Divine Mercy apparition occurrence was being condemned by the Church”, the negative initial judgment of the Divine Mercy revelations was a fallible exercise of the temporal authority of the Church. Such decisions are subject to change, and it was changed, as it was in the case of Garabandal.

Regarding approved (or never condemned) apparitions, Pope Urban VIII (17th century) provided some insight.

"In cases which concern private revelations, it is better to believe than not to believe, for if you believe and it is proven true, you will be happy that you believed, because our Holy Mother asked it of you. If you believed and it should be proven false, you will receive all the blessings as if it has been true, because you believed it to be true."
The “official” approval of the Church also extends in this case to the solemnity of The Feast of Divine Mercy, celebrated on the Octave of Easter, which was extended to the entire Catholic Church by Pope John Paul II on April 30, 2000, the day that he canonized Saint Faustina.

Btw, there is nothing “sentimental” about this:

Sister Faustina's Vision of Hell

"I, Sister Faustina Kowalska, by the order of God, have visited the Abysses of Hell so that I might tell souls about it and testify to its existence...the devils were full of hatred for me, but they had to obey me at the command of God, What I have written is but a pale shadow of the things I saw. But I noticed one thing: That most of the souls there are those who disbelieved that there is a hell." (Diary 741)

"Today, I was led by an angel to the Chasms of Hell. It is a place of great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of tortures I saw:

The First Torture that constitutes hell is: The loss of God.

The Second is: Perpetual remorse of conscience.

The Third is: That one's condition will never change.

The Fourth is: The fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it. A terrible suffering since it is a purely spiritual fire, lit by God's anger.

The Fifth Torture is: Continual darkness and a terrible suffocating smell, and despite the darkness, the devils and the souls of the damned see each other and all the evil, both of others and their own.

The Sixth Torture is: The constant company of Satan.

The Seventh Torture is: Horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies

These are the Tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings.

Indescribable Sufferings
There are special Tortures destined for particular souls. These are the torments of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings related to the manner in which it has sinned.

I would have died
There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me.

No One Can Say There is No Hell
Let the sinner know that he will be tortured throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin. I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been there, and so no one can say what it is like...how terribly souls suffer there! Consequently, I pray even more fervently for the conversion of sinners. I incessantly plead God's mercy upon them. O My Jesus, I would rather be in agony until the end of the world, amidst the greatest sufferings, than offend you by the least sin." (Diary 741)
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  George Brenner Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Very true Mike,

Sister Faustina's vision of hell along with countless other Saints including Fatima give very sound similar accounts of the eternal horrific nature of hell. We must always try to help each other in any way we can.
George Brenner
George Brenner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down