Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference

2 posters

Go down

A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  Empty A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference

Post  MRyan Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 pm

A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference

By Phil Lawler | September 18, 2012 5:14 PM

http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otn.cfm?id=935

"If you aren’t excited about this news story, you probably don’t understand it. This is big. This is huge. This is exciting!

Have you been frustrated, over the years, with the political statements issued by the US bishops’ conference? If so, prepare for a welcome change. Have you wondered why the bishops never seem to listen to reasonable arguments by conservative Catholics? That’s about to change, too.

When John Carr retired from the staff of the US bishops’ conference, after helping to shape the bishops’ statements on political issues for more then 25 years, we wondered whether his departure signaled a shift in USCCB policy. Today we have our answer: Yes, it does.

Jonathan J. Reyes, who will be taking Carr’s post in December, will be coming to Washington from Denver, where he was head of Catholic Charities. His work there, and especially his involvement in projects like “Christ in the City,” testify to his belief that Christian charitable work is inseparable from evangelization. In other words he sees charitable work as a witness to faith, not a call for government support.

The resumés of these two men provide a vivid contrast. Whereas John Carr was hired by the Carter administration, and worked for the White House Conference on Families.

Reyes was hired by Archbishop Chaput, and worked for the Fellowship of Catholic University Students. Carr sat on the board of the leftist Center for Community Change; Reyes is co-founder of the Augustine Institute. Carr will be taking a post at Harvard’s Kennedy School; Reyes is a former vice-president of Christendom College.

Carr’s background, interests, instincts, and alliances tied him closely to liberal Democrats. Reyes, on the other hand, moves easily in conservative circles. This does not mean that Reyes will be a political partisan, or that the USCCB will suddenly begin endorsing Republican legislative proposals. But it does mean that for the first time in decades, the staff of the US bishops’ conference will not swing reflexively into line with the latest liberal rhetoric. Gaudeamus igitur, and chill the champagne!"
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  Empty Re: A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference

Post  George Brenner Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Jonathan J. Reyes is named to head executive director of the Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

At first glance I can find no reason for joy in this announcement. After watching this video ( may have to copy and paste) by Jonathan J. Reyes, I do not see reason for hope in this appointment.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7kZoE1pQmD8AZw5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1ZHY0MDduBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDA3N18xODI-/SIG=131l3v7d8/EXP=1348109288/**http%3a//www.ratzingerfanclub.com/liberalism/murray_contraception_abortion.html

Reyes glowing remarks about John Courtney Murray as a great theologian of the 20th century and comments that follow tells me that he does not understand our Catholic Faith. John Courtney Murray with his influence on Vatican Council II caused much of what we have come to call the Crisis of Faith. Cardinal Arinze takes great issue with Murray,s stand or lack thereof on contraception/ Abortion. You know the personally I am against the immorality but if its what you fine folks want who am I to ruin your parade type of thinking.

Did Murray really say "Because contraception is made legal it is not therefore made moral, any more that it should be made illegal simply because it is immoral"...........or would he say today because homosexuality is made legal it is not therefore made moral, any more that it should be made illegal simply because it is immoral. What does God have to say? This is the kind of thinking which greatly influenced Vatican Council II and its aftermath. I am not talking about the official pronouncements of VCII but the rampant, crazy, distorted and irreverent implementation that took place throughout the Church.

George Brenner
George Brenner

Back to top Go down

A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference  Empty Re: A terrific appointment at the US bishops' conference

Post  MRyan Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:18 pm

George, I cannot find a video embedded anywhere in your link(s), but only an article by Christophe Blosser from 2004 entitled John Courtney Murray, Contraception, and the "Liberal Catholic" Justification for Abortion".

It's actually a good article, and if you read it, you'll see the distinction Murray makes with respect to "consensus" by which he means as it is traditionally understood as the binding nature of the moral truths we hold as "self-evident", such as the evil of abortion and the grave disorder of homosexual acts.

Anyway, without the video, I really don't know the cause of your angst and displeasure.

I believe such glowing optimism of his appointment may be overstated, but it has to be an improvement.

MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  George Brenner Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Mike,

I hope and pray that Jonathan Reyes is just what the doctor ordered. I hope for truth, fervor and incredible backbone. I can not get enough of Cardinal Arinze as sample video below shows.

Here is the link for information and video for Jonathon that did not take yesterday:

http://www.briannaheldt.com/2012/05/moment.html

George Brenner
George Brenner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down