Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
the VICE divide EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
the VICE divide EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
the VICE divide EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
the VICE divide EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
the VICE divide EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
the VICE divide EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
the VICE divide EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
the VICE divide EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
the VICE divide EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
the VICE divide EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
the VICE divide EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
the VICE divide EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
the VICE divide EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
the VICE divide EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
the VICE divide EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
the VICE divide EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
the VICE divide EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
the VICE divide EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
the VICE divide EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
the VICE divide EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

the VICE divide

Go down

the VICE divide Empty the VICE divide

Post  Guest Mon May 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Back to top Go down

the VICE divide Empty Re: the VICE divide

Post  Guest Mon May 02, 2011 4:09 pm

The report was based on a study of confessions carried out by Fr Roberto Busa, a 95-year-old Jesuit scholar.
The Pope's personal theologian backed up the report in the Vatican newspaper.
I'm sure all those people afraid to go to Confession because priest's (might) remember their sins are thrilled that one priest was making a study during his time in the confessional and it was (allegedly) backed by a Theologian close to the Holy Father!!!

There's just something about that whole article that seems... wrong. Oh, I agree that men and women struggle with different sins; but that's irrelevant to the point of the Sacrament! And publicizing a "study" based on "information from the confessional" doesn't seem to square with the seal of the Sacrament of Confession...

Back to top Go down

Post  Lourdes Mon May 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Marian, you're right, this is horrifying.

Let me tell you another horrifying experience I had in preparation for Divine Mercy Sunday. After weeks of preparation and reading about how loving and merciful Our Lord is, I encountered a priest who was the exact opposite in the confessional. In fact, I was so traumatized by the experience, it took me two days to recover. Now I understand why some people never go back to confession after such an experience.

Lourdes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 pm

I don't see the scandal. If a priest has hear confession for 40 years or more, I think he can say tendencies of men and women without effecting the seal. But then again you guys are girls and get angry faster Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I agree with cowboy. If you read any moral theology manual, the situations presented in the moral theology manual (such as Moral Theology by Fr. Heribert Jone) come from real life experience in the confessional. They do not come out of thin air.

The confessional seal protects the identity of the penitent. If a priest in Rome who is giving a moral theology class to train seminarians wants to talk about a confession he heard 30 years a ago when he was a missionary in Africa and the identity of the penitent is completely untraceable that is not a violation of the seal of confession.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Oh, I get what both of you are saying... it's just weird to read an article about a priest making a study out of what he hears in the confessional. After all, the modern day Jesuits are not known for their adherence to the teachings of the Church...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Heh, I have my reservations about even the olden-day Jesuits. the VICE divide 67245

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 04, 2011 2:27 am

I agree with you Rasha. The Jesuits have really created a lot of problems we are dealing with even to today. I got Fr. Harrrison's talk from St. Benedict Center and he seem to be saying Baptism of Desire was mainly promoted by the Jesuits. I mean that pagans can be saved. Also it seems like Pascal may have had a point when he wrote the "Provincial Letters." Pascal's main source on Jesuit casuistry was Antonio Escobar's Summula casuum conscientiae (1627), several propositions of which would be later condemned by Pope Innocent XI. I also thought the Jesuit's arrogance in the Molinism controversy was scandalous. They manipulate a pope and gave no care for the salvation souls only their image. No, the Jesuits have not been worth it. They bring more trouble than help. Modernism was essentially a Jesuit heresy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum