Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
A beautiful sermon on Our Lady EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

A beautiful sermon on Our Lady

3 posters

Go down

A beautiful sermon on Our Lady Empty A beautiful sermon on Our Lady

Post  MRyan Sun May 22, 2011 2:26 pm

http://papastronsay.blogspot.com/

"The Reverend John Hunwicke was for nearly three decades at Lancing College; where he taught Latin and Greek language and literature, was Head of Theology, and Assistant Chaplain. He has served three curacies; been a Parish Priest once and Senior Research Fellow at Pusey House in Oxford. Most recently he was priest-in-charge of St. Thomas the Martyr Church in Oxford, a historic Anglo-Catholic church that was in the forefront of the Oxford Movement, from the revival of vestments and incense to ministering to the urban poor.

On Ash Wednesday, 2011, he, with many of his parishioners, entered a period of preparation in order to be received into communion with the Catholic Church. He is among those former Church of England clergy who is preparing for ordination to the Sacred Priesthood of the Catholic Church via the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham.

The Reverend John Hunwicke … was received into the Church for the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham, Tuesday of Holy Week, 19 April, 2011, VI anniversary of the election of Pope Benedict XVI."

The first part of a beautiful sermon on Our Lady
by Father Hunwicke.

As I made a bonfire of old homilies, I decided to give this one a last outing on the blog.

In lots of places, in the old days, there was a custom of fixing a card to the Paschal Candle giving some dates and times. This year the 'Charta' would have told you that it was the 1978th year since the Lord's Death and Resurrection; the 2011th since his Birth; and also the 2025th since the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Tot it up: you'll see that, according to tradition, our Blessed Lady was 14 when she became God's Mother. There's a picture I find very moving - of a little girl, not much more than a child herself, leaning over the cradle of her baby Son, and murmuring the first endearments that a mother utters to the little thing that was part of her own body only minutes ago ... bonding, as they call it. And, as Divine Baby grew into Divine Toddler, I think we can actually put our finger on some of the things Mary said to her Son. The official language of that time was Greek, but I think that mothers and babies and people in bedrooms and kitchens used, in Palestine, a different languge: Aramaic. I don't think I have much doubt about one word Mary used to our blessed Lord. Imagine him - sitting in whatever sort of high chair they used to feed toddlers in. I think what Mary said was what most parents say: "Open wide". The little mouth opens, and one deftly manoeuvres the spoonful in before it shuts again. And the Aramaic for "Open wide" is Ephphatha. And so, when years later the Redeemer was healing a mute, S Mark tells us that he slipped from talking Greek into Aramiac and said "Ephphatha".

And I think I know another Aramaic word that Mary said to her Saviour. It was while she was teaching him his prayers and telling him about God the Father. She taught him to call God "Abba"; which could be translated "Daddy". In other words, she taught him to keep the Daddy-word, not for S Joseph, but for God the Father of Heaven. And we know Jesus called him "Abba"; he used that word in the Garden of Gethsemane before his arrest: "Abba, not my will but thine be done".

And there's another thing about that Mother and that Baby that people often don't spot. Our God and Lord Jesus Christ didn't have an earthly, human father; his Father was the First Person of the Blessed Trinity. Now: you know how it is with an ordinary baby: "Cor - he's got his mother's nose". "Look: she's got her father's ears". But this Baby ... there's only one person he could look like: Mary. If you could have seen them side by side, I'm sure you would have spotted the uncanny similarities; the distance between the eyes, perhaps; the curl of the lips; the shape of the fingermnails; some indefinable likeness in the way each of them walked. Just as identical twins are so very like each other, I suspect that Mother and that Son must have been very strikingly similar. And, as our Lord took his humanity solely and uniquely from Mary's, I wonder if his human mind ran along the same tracks as hers; so that each often felt they knew what the other was thinking before anybody actually said anything ... as happens with some identical twins.

I don't think Jesus changes; our Saviour God, Scripture tells us, is the same yesterday, today, and always. And I know Mary must be the same, yesterday, today, and always. I was privileged - together with the Archbishop of Canterbury and several hundred other Church of England people - to go on pilgrimage to Lourdes in the year of the 150th anniversary of the Appearances of the Mother of God to S Bernardette Soubirous. We prayed at a little cleft in a rocky cliffside, called the Grotto, which is where S Bernardette had her vision. The Archbishop bent forward full-length on the cold, damp rock of the little cave and prayed there for some minutes. A few feet above his head was the fissure, the slit where our Lady appeared. At the time, S Bernardette was 14 years old - just the same age as Mary was when she became God's Mother - and Bernardette described the Lady of her vision as"no bigger than me". It is as though, through all eternity, Mary is to be seen of men as she was at that moment when she did the Great Thing which all the millennia had been looking forward to and brought God into his own world as her own Baby. She is for ever the One-giving-birth-to-God, Theotokos. And she was, so S Bernardette said, very beautiful. Beautiful, we might say, like her Son who is the fairest among the Sons of Adam.

Let me tell you another thing about Mary that doesn't seem to change. It's the way she talks. Just as she murmured to her Baby, not in Greek, the international language of Big People in government and politics, but in Aramaic, ephphatha and Abba, so, when she appeared at Lourdes, she didn't speak to Bernardette in some grand language of the great affairs of men. There in Lourdes, in the Grotto, two or three feet above where Archbishop Rowan got his cassock damp from lying on the rock underneath the statue of our Lady, they've written the words Mary said when Bernardette asked her who she was: Que soy era Immaculado Concepcion. And that's not French. It's the local dialect, a branch of an ancient and almost extinct language they spoke in the South of France centuries before they spoke French there. It's called Gascon, and it's the language little girls like Bernardette still used among themselves. Que soy era Immaculado Concepcion: I am the Immaculate Conception.

Continues later
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

A beautiful sermon on Our Lady Empty Re: A beautiful sermon on Our Lady

Post  columba Sun May 22, 2011 7:57 pm

And there's another thing about that Mother and that Baby that people often don't spot. Our God and Lord Jesus Christ didn't have an earthly, human father; his Father was the First Person of the Blessed Trinity. Now: you know how it is with an ordinary baby: "Cor - he's got his mother's nose". "Look: she's got her father's ears". But this Baby ... there's only one person he could look like: Mary. If you could have seen them side by side, I'm sure you would have spotted the uncanny similarities; the distance between the eyes, perhaps; the curl of the lips; the shape of the fingermnails; some indefinable likeness in the way each of them walked. Just as identical twins are so very like each other, I suspect that Mother and that Son must have been very strikingly similar. And, as our Lord took his humanity solely and uniquely from Mary's, I wonder if his human mind ran along the same tracks as hers; so that each often felt they knew what the other was thinking before anybody actually said anything ... as happens with some identical twins.

This is a beautiful passage. I often thought that when receiving the Holy Eucharist we also receive the flesh and blood of the Blessed Virgin too.
My theology though may be mistaken. scratch
columba
columba

Back to top Go down

Post  Allie Sun May 22, 2011 8:24 pm

I love this, Mike. Just beautiful.

To contemplate the mystery of our Almighty God choosing and allowing Himself, for our sakes, to become a tiny, helpless Infant entirely dependent on His Blessed Mother never ceases to amaze and humble me. It is always a perfect antidote to my pride.

I look forward to the continuation of this sermon.

God bless you!
Allie
Allie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down