Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Does homeschooling causes social retardation????

3 posters

Go down

Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? Empty Does homeschooling causes social retardation????

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:24 pm

What do you think of this chat exchange between me and a neo-con friend? (Just a note: We both went to a same-sex "Catholic" high school together).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
me: wow this whole student teaching experience is making me a firmer believer in homeschooling and vouchers for those who can't homeschool.
Sent at 3:31 PM on Monday

Bob: I have to disagree on homeschooling. Vouchers are great, but homeschooling leads to essentially social retardation.
Sent at 3:37 PM on Monday

me: nah that's just propaganda...people say the same thing about same-sex schools but we know that isn't true.. I know a few homeschooling families in XXXXXX that have normal kids, it comes down to finding other ways that they can get the socialization, sports, etc.
Sent at 3:41 PM on Monday

Bob: I have seen it first hand many times. It's definitely not propaganda. For many years I went to an ultra conservative parish filled with homeschoolers. In the beginning I got involved in their social gatherings. I couldn't handle it man.
Sent at 3:44 PM on Monday

Bob: I saw the same thing in college. There were a group of homeschooled kids that went to my college. They were very bright, but trust me: socially inept. Homeschooling does not work. I would never homeschool my kids.

Back to top Go down

Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? Empty Re: Does homeschooling causes social retardation????

Post  Roguejim Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:35 am

Not a lot to go on here...

Define social retardation? Whatever the definition, of course it would only apply to some kids, and not all. I wish Kopp was here because he and his wife home school their children. I know of one other gentleman who is a recent Catholic covert with a PhD. His children are home schooled, as well. I'll get his take on it if you can provide some general definition that I can present to him.
Roguejim
Roguejim

Back to top Go down

Does homeschooling causes social retardation???? Empty Re: Does homeschooling causes social retardation????

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:48 am

This is the same friend that told me one needs to have at least 8 girlfriends before getting married. He's a good guy, don't get me wrong, but somehow he got mixed up along the way.

He grew up in a family of like 12 children, back in the day they were into Medjegorge, for awhile his parents also sent him to an Opus Dei run school, he and I went to a Catholic all-boys school together for high school. He's more of a Novus Ordo Catholic than anything else now. I think it is a certain reaction to his upbringing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:01 pm

There is nothing about homeschooling in and of itself that would cause "social retardation" (depending upon what one means by that term)... it's not part of your typical homeschool curriculum, LOL. Just as sticking your kid(s) in school for 8 hours a day will not guarantee well developed social skills.

It is the responsibility of parents to ensure that their children are raised properly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Additionally, where do morals come into play. As Columba said better to have a few socially inept kids go to heaven then a ton of politically correct hipsters go to hell.

I actually read this Eastern Orthodox book (back in my ecumenical days) that said that the goal of parents is to do everything possible so that their children don't lose baptismal grace.

Back to top Go down

Post  Polycarp Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Good summary against the socialization issue in this article from the HSLDF: The Third Wave of Homeschool Persecution:

The second wave of attack was based on the all-too-familiar whine, “What about socialization?” But, because the first generation of homeschoolers has participated in a huge number of community activities while being home educated and is now entering the world of college and the workforce, tens of millions of people now know people who have been homeschooled. And the vast majority of people who know a child who has been homeschooled for a number of years would simply laugh at the idea that there are socialization problems from this approach to education.

There is a bit of work left to completely eradicate this second false assertion, but another decade of homeschoolers entering the workforce and the world of adulthood should pretty much take care of the need we have for societal acceptance of the truth: homeschoolers get along well with others—even those who radically differ from them.

But there is a third wave coming. And I doubt that many of you have any idea of the intensity and breadth of the elitist movement that is taking dead aim at our movement. This time, they are armed with an argument that is essentially true.

Now when you read their material, they exaggerate the facts, they invent hypothetical examples that are so far-fetched as to be laughable; but when you dig down and look honestly at their charges, they are essentially correct.

Here is their assertion. Christian homeschooling parents are effectively transmitting values to their children that the elitists believe are dangerous to the well-being of both these very children and society as a whole.

What are those values? Homosexuality is a sin. Men should be the leaders of their families. Jesus is the only way to God. All other religions are false.

I could go on. But what the elitists really mean is the set of religious beliefs that they label as fundamentalist Christianity.
Polycarp
Polycarp

Back to top Go down

Post  shin Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:18 am

If one does not homeschool, the children are inevitably -badly- socialized.

This is far worse a harm than the greater or lesser intellectual education.

shin

http://www.saintsquotes.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down