Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book

2 posters

Go down

Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book Empty Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book

Post  orthodoxdogma Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Long live Papa Benedict!

Communion with Heretics and Schimsatics, mortal sin?

I purchased a new book called Rome Has Spoken by William J. DeTucci anyone familiar? Their website is Rome Has Spoken.

He wrote another book "Communicatio in Sacris" exposing Brothers Michael and Peter Dimond of Most Holy Family Monastery with an endorsement from Patrick Pollock.

I have to admit the scholarship is exceptional and the quotes from what I have read (I'm in the middle of the book) are rare and scholarly.

Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus is upheld in the book too.

orthodoxdogma

Back to top Go down

Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book Empty Re: Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book

Post  MRyan Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes, I am familiar with the work, it’s on my bookshelf collecting dust (1997 edition), and it belongs in the dust bin.

But, I’m a bit confused. I’m not sure how you can say “Long live Papa Benedict!” after having already read half the book.

Surely you are aware by now that DeTucci and the editor Pollock are extreme sedevacantists who are to the right of the Dimond Brothers, the latter of whom are indeed condemned in the book for advocating (in the words of DeTucci) that “it is permissible to receive the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession from Heretical Clergy—whether so-called Orthodox churches, the Vatican II Sect (as long as the Clergy are Valid) and even with the Sects of the: CMRI, SSPX or other Independent Sects and Groups, etc.”

In fact, the first half of the book (an 85 page "Introduction") is nothing less than a full-throttled diatribe against the “heretics”, which is comprised of a laundry list of named “heretics” and “heresies” that runs the alphabet of conciliar “anti-popes”, sedevacantist and traditional “sects”, to include the St. Benedict Center.

It is, in short, quite pathetic.

It is so fundamentally flawed that I cannot begin to name the errors. I once wrote a lengthy rebuttal and shared it with Patrick Pollock (author of “101 Heresies of Antipope John Paul II"), who engaged me in an email debate that included an exchange with one of the sede “scholars” who resides in S. America.

Just to give you an idea of the "scholars" we are dealing with, Pollock shared with me that the 1917 Code of Canon Law is formally defective (heretical) and that it is null and void (except for those long-standing provisions which are orthodox).

You see, this type of brilliant “scholarship” sees the reception of the Sacraments from non-Catholic clergy in emergencies (e.g., point of death) as Communicatio in Sacris with heretics and schismatics.

I'm serious.

How about one more? Here is a portion of a cited text from a speech by Br. Andre at the 1997 St. Benedict Center Conference, and make note of the bracketed “Editor’s [Pollock’s] note”:

The Pope’s infallibility is over Faith and Morals only. Law is not the proper subject of infallibility, and therefore bad laws [Editor’s note: this is heresy—a true Pope is Infallible in his laws as well] can come into the Church. (p. 45)
No, and as I informed Pollock, this is not “heresy” and Br. Andre is absolutely correct. While theologians commonly agree that universal laws cannot be opposed to the faith or be inherently harmful, this is not the definition of papal infallibility; and Laws can indeed be “bad” from the standpoint of being unjust or imprudent. But these are subjective prudential matters, and not matters of unchangeable faith and morals. Any law that can be changed, reversed or rescinded is not “infallible”.

Anyway, this is one of the most non-scholarly works I have ever read (on the same level as the D. Bro's), though its numerous citations that comprise most of the second half of the book are noteworthy. It’s too bad the author and the editor did not know what to do with them.

MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book Empty Odd

Post  orthodoxdogma Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:11 pm

What is wrong with B16?

Also, DeTucci and Pollock both are "against" intercommunion with Heretics and Schismatics. Odd, I went to the website because I am unfamiliar with the book Communicatio in Sacris - it actually condemns praying or receiving Sacraments from Heretical Clergy.

However, V2, Code of Canon Law (1917), and (1984) and SSPX and CMRI say you can receive Communion and the Sacraments from Heretics and Schismatics at death.

I did email before Mr. Pollock, he was very pleasant and seemed well learned though I disagree. Dr. DeTucci on the other hand I emailed but never got a response back.

I don't have the book Communicatio in Sacris but I went to the website it came out in 2009 not 1997 (FYI) anything that condemns the Dimonds I'm Game! hehehe...

The book I have is called Rome Has Spoken by William J. DeTucci - wow! Now that is scholarship! I will have to look into Communicatio in Sacris 2009.

I did see a review of this on Amazon interesting content.

I can see that Communion with Heretics is condemned by DeTucci but I still hold that ASSISI was not heresy but a miscommunication.

Hey, MRyan, just wanted to leave this with you - God Love's you!

I just love reading into these matters.

Lastly, MRyan ... what is your full name - that is - you said you could refute both of them - love to see this - seriously.

All the best in God's Love....

Mark

PS

Seems like on the issue of Communion with Heretics - even some of the Bishops and Saints at the time were radical.

orthodoxdogma

Back to top Go down

Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book Empty Re: Communion with Heretics and Schismatics - New Book

Post  MRyan Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:56 am

Yes, the book I am referring to is the second one you mentioned, Comminicatio in Sacris by DeTucci, and edited by P. Pollock.

You are correct, I incorrectly said 1997; my edition is 2007 (published by VLAD Catholic).

The on-line write-up for "Rome Has Spoken" appears to be more of the same.

Buyer beware.

MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  orthodoxdogma Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 am

MRyan, thanks for the input. That is strange because on vladcatholic.com it says revised 2009 edition. Maybe there was an update I was not sure about. However, these guys as you incorrectly said - believe that praying or receiving Sacraments from Heretics and Schismatics or even Orthodox or Traditionalists that (appear) to be heretics is a mortal sin, odd....

orthodoxdogma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down