Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops

2 posters

Go down

Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops Empty Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops

Post  Allie Mon May 30, 2011 2:16 pm

I just have a question about the Apostolic succession of particular bishops. Do any of you know how to find out which Apostle a particular bishop is in the line of succession to? (If that is even how you would phrase it, I don't know).

I was looking into it and a lot of the sites showed it going back to one particular individual Cardinal Rebiba or something like that in the 1500's- but I haven't found a source going back further (although obviously it goes back further than 1500's).

Anyways, thanks in advance and may God bless you all this Memorial Day!

Allie
Allie

Back to top Go down

Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops Empty Re: Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops

Post  Allie Mon May 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Another question : Would it be said that all of our bishops actually go back to Peter himself? Or would there be lineages from the twelve different Apostles (including Matthias?) or I suppose 13 when considering the St.Paul?

Allie
Allie

Back to top Go down

Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops Empty Re: Apostolic Succession of Particular Bishops

Post  MRyan Mon May 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Allie wrote:Another question : Would it be said that all of our bishops actually go back to Peter himself? Or would there be lineages from the twelve different Apostles (including Matthias?) or I suppose 13 when considering the St.Paul?

Allie,

I don't know of a source that can demonstrate a particular Bishop's lineage all the way back to one of the 12 Apostles (includes Matthias); though of course we know there is an unbroken line of Apostolic Succession for every validly ordained Bishop.

The 12 Apostles included Peter, so the original 12 Apostles received their spiritual, ecclesiastical and sacramental authority directly from our Lord. St. Paul was not one of the 12, so he would have received his Apostolic authority from Peter (who at least "sent" St. Paul {Jurisdiction} as I don't think the Gospels tell us who performed his episcopal consecration).

I think I've got at right ... does it help?

MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  Allie Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks, Mike- that does help.

I have always thought it would be interesting to know the lineage of my particular bishop- who really knows exactly what for, perhaps to pray to that Saint for particular intercession for the bishop, etc.

Not really a must as I know that he (my bishop) is in an unbroken line of Apostolic Succession and I can ask for all the saints intercession on his behalf... I just thought it would be interesting to know.

I hope you are well!
God bless you!
Allie
Allie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down