Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism

3 posters

Go down

baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism Empty Re: Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism

Post  MRyan Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:59 pm

I haven’t read the blog, but I can take an educated guess why the blogger said this; because it’s true.

We must remember that the translation and regeneration into justification is, in its essence, a translation into the justice of His LOVE.

And, while the blood of the martyrs can be said to be mixed with the blood of Christ, for Whom their blood is shed, only the Blood of Christ is meritorious and efficacious.

In other words, the greater “perfection” we find in the act of the Holy Innocents is in the context of a charity (martyrdom) that is greater than that which is received in the sacrament, as all the saints who spoke on this attest.

And what greater love is there than the blood shed in the name of, and for, our Lord?

MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

baptism - Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism Empty Re: Blog says Holy Innocents received BOB and BOB is "more perfect" than water baptism

Post  St_Polycarp Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:15 pm

The article says that "the Holy Innocents gave their lives for the newborn Savior." My question is how did they actually give their lives for Jesus? I mean, it's not like they were persecuted for their faith in Christ, and killed because they wouldn't give it up. They were victims of an evil king. I just have never understood how they could be considered martyrs for Christ.
St_Polycarp
St_Polycarp

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:27 pm

I guess we would have to say that our Lord accepted the "implicit faith and desire" of the Holy Innocents who were not of sufficient age to form their wills in a perfect charity. But it is much more profound that that, as Dom Guéranger reveals in this excellent summary:

We have in Blessed Stephen the fulfillment of his desire to be a martyr with the act of martyrdom; in St. John we find the desire, but not the act of martyrdom; in the Blessed Innocents – the children Herod killed with the intent to kill the Messiah – we have the act of martyrdom, but not the desire.

Indeed, St. Stephen wanted to be a martyr and became one. St. John desired the same, but was not. The Blessed Innocents did not desire to be martyrs, but were.

Is there reason to believe that those children were true martyrs? Where is the merit to obtain the crown of martyrdom? To this doubt, I answer: Would the goodness of Christ be defeated by the cruelty of Herod? Could that impious king order those innocents killed, and Christ not crown those who died because of Him?

Stephen was a martyr before the eyes of men who witnessed his passion which he voluntarily embraced to the point of praying for his persecutors. Thus he showed that he was more sensitive to the crime they were committing than to his own wounds.

John was a martyr before the eyes of the Angels, because those spiritual creatures saw the disposition of his soul.

Certainly those children were Thy martyrs, O God, but neither men nor Angels could see their merit, which was before Thy eyes alone. The favor of Thy grace stood in place of their merit. We who have been baptized by water should be all the more ready to honor those little ones who were baptized in their own blood, and therefore linked to all the mysteries of the Divine Infancy.

MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:08 pm

The One and Triune God is all loving and all merciful but not all righteous. I think that it is far more probable that there are degrees of natural happiness in Limbo than the Holy Innocents are in Paradise.
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:33 pm

St_Polycarp wrote:The article says that "the Holy Innocents gave their lives for the newborn Savior." My question is how did they actually give their lives for Jesus? I mean, it's not like they were persecuted for their faith in Christ, and killed because they wouldn't give it up. They were victims of an evil king. I just have never understood how they could be considered martyrs for Christ.
The Holy Innocents died because of Jesus, and in that sense we can say that they gave their lives for Him. Herod slaughtered them in attempt to slaughter the King, thus they died in place of Jesus.

Jehanne wrote:The One and Triune God is all loving and all merciful but not all righteous. I think that it is far more probable that there are degrees of natural happiness in Limbo than the Holy Innocents are in Paradise.
We know that they are in Paradise because the Church celebrates their liturgical feast... furthermore, they are somewhat like the Saints of the Old Testament. They died under the Old Law, not being bound by the sacrament of Baptism (which had yet to even be instituted). The Holy Innocents were all circumcised and thus upon their deaths they would've descended to the limbo of the fathers with the rest of the justified under the Old Covenant and followed Our Lord into Heaven after His Ascension.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:38 pm

MarianLibrarian wrote:
Jehanne wrote:The One and Triune God is all loving and all merciful but not all righteous. I think that it is far more probable that there are degrees of natural happiness in Limbo than the Holy Innocents are in Paradise.
We know that they are in Paradise because the Church celebrates their liturgical feast... furthermore, they are somewhat like the Saints of the Old Testament. They died under the Old Law, not being bound by the sacrament of Baptism (which had yet to even be instituted). The Holy Innocents were all circumcised and thus upon their deaths they would've descended to the limbo of the fathers with the rest of the justified under the Old Covenant and followed Our Lord into Heaven after His Ascension.

Perhaps. I do not know. Does it really matter, at least from a theological POV? Your point about circumcision is well taken, however, and could quite possibly be the correct "resolution" to this "problem."
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Of course He is “all righteous” (it is heretical to say He is not), and His righteousness is not opposed to His mercy.

But I was half-expecting the old canard that says that their entrance into heaven was made possible only by the fact that they were martyred before the promulgation of the Gospel, but this is too much.

Jehanne, do you understand the implications of what you are saying? Are we to understand that it is "more probable" that the Roman Catholic Latin Church instituted the Feast of the Holy Innocents for those who are actually in hell, in the “Limbo of the children”? So we venerate and pray to the souls of the damned, even if they do not suffer the eternal torments?

I hope you will reconsider.

Last edited by MRyan on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Jehanne wrote:
Perhaps. I do not know. Does it really matter, at least from a theological POV?

Yes, it does matter. The Church celebrates their feast because she declares with the certainty of tradition and a universal ecclesiastical approbation that they are among the blessed in heaven. And, while it may not enjoy the certain infallibility of a canonization (the infallibility of a dogmatic fact), it does enjoy a universal and constant consent. To suggest that the Church has erred in such a matter is, quite frankly, absurd.

Why is there a “problem” in the first place?

MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  St_Polycarp Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Thank you, MarianLibrarian, for your response. It makes much more sense now. Very Happy
St_Polycarp
St_Polycarp

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:39 pm

MRyan wrote:

Of course He is “all righteous” (it is heretical to say He is not), and His righteousness is not opposed to His mercy.

But I was half-expecting the old canard that says that their entrance into heaven was made possible only by the fact that they were martyred before the promulgation of the Gospel, but this is too much.

Jehanne, do you understand the implications of what you are saying? Are we to understand that it is "more probable" that the Roman Catholic Latin Church instituted the Feast of the Holy Innocents for those who are actually in hell, in the “Limbo of the children”? So we venerate and pray to the souls of the damned, even if they do not suffer the eternal torments?

I hope you will reconsider.

Well, maybe, I do not know. Just from a historical viewpoint, it is clear that the Roman Catholic Church believed de fide that baptism was the sole and only means of salvation for infants and children who had not yet reached the age of reason. If the Church could be wrong about that, then she/it could be wrong about anything and everything else. In any case, Baptism was not around from Day 1 but was instituted by our Lord Jesus Christ at some point in history, which was, clearly, after the martyrdom of the Holy Innocents.

The circumcision point is the best argument that I have seen in this area, so yes, I have reconsidered my position in favor of that.
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

MRyan wrote:
Jehanne wrote:

Yes, it does matter. The Church celebrates their feast because she declares with the certainty of tradition and a universal ecclesiastical approbation that they are among the blessed in heaven. And, while it may not enjoy the certain infallibility of a canonization (the infallibility of a dogmatic fact), it does enjoy a universal and constant consent. To suggest that the Church has erred in such a matter is, quite frankly, absurd.

I never claimed that the Church erred. It is de fide that Water Baptism is the only means, the only hope, of salvation for infants and children who have not yet reached the age of reason. So, I find the BoB argument for the Holy Innocents to be a hallow one.
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Jehanne wrote:
MRyan wrote:
Jehanne wrote:

I never claimed that the Church erred. It is de fide that Water Baptism is the only means, the only hope, of salvation for infants and children who have not yet reached the age of reason. So, I find the BoB argument for the Holy Innocents to be a hallow one.
The Holy Innocents died while Christ was yet a child... Baptism had not yet been instituted by Him. We cannot hold the Holy Innocents accountable to a Sacrament that was not instituted and made binding until years after their deaths.

Yes, Baptism (sacramental, water Baptism) is the only defined means of Salvation under the New Covenant. Those who died under the Old Covenant were not accountable to the New Covenant, but to the Old.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jehanne Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Well stated. I agree with you 100%. Yes, we can resolve issues here, can't we?!
Jehanne
Jehanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down