Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI

2 posters

Go down

Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI Empty Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI

Post  tornpage Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:25 am

Not sure where to post this, but some may find this interesting. I post it here because it somewhat deals with necessity of baptism for salvation, as it addresses the fate of unbaptized infants who die in infancy.

This is St. Robert Bellarmine's view on the issue in a translation of De Amissione Gratiae, Book VI. I'm not aware of a translation of it being available otherwise:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Infant_Perdition_in_the_Middle_Ages/3DHrq1R8KZAC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=infant+perdition+medieval+studies&printsec=frontcover

Here's St. Robert's ultimate opinion on the question:

Lastly, it remains for us to discuss the third and fourth opinion, whereof
the former exempted infants from all pain, whether inward or outward,
while the latter left them inward pain but freed them altogether from
the outward. The former is probable by reason of the authority of St.
Thomas, St. Bonaventura, and many other illustrious theologians ; but
I deem the latter the more probable by reason of the authority of the
holy Fathers St. Augustine, St. Fulgentius, St. Gregory, and others ;
who have been followed by some even among the Schoolmen.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI Empty Re: Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI

Post  tornpage Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:35 am

Sorry. The translation is imbedded in the article, and begins on page 6.

Also, the translator's indicates there are some abridgements made by him, but no additions to St. Robert's text. His comments are set off by a different type, mainly I think in chapter summaries.
tornpage
tornpage

otremer6 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI Empty Re: Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI

Post  tornpage Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:45 am

One of the things that I never noticed before, the author quotes  a portion of the following from the Catechism of Trent:

Necessity of Baptism

If the knowledge of what has been hitherto explained be, as it is, of highest importance to the faithful, it is no less important to them to learn that the law of Baptism, as established by our Lord, extends to all, so that unless they are regenerated to God through the grace of Baptism, be their parents Christians or infidels, they are born to eternal misery and destruction. Pastors, therefore, should often explain these words of the Gospel: Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

I would think that, at a minimum, supports St. Robert's view.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:06 pm

tornpage wrote:Not sure where to post this, but some may find this interesting. I post it here because it somewhat deals with necessity of baptism for salvation, as it addresses the fate of unbaptized infants who die in infancy.

This is St. Robert Bellarmine's view on the issue in a translation of De Amissione Gratiae, Book VI. I'm not aware of a translation of it being available otherwise:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Infant_Perdition_in_the_Middle_Ages/3DHrq1R8KZAC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=infant+perdition+medieval+studies&printsec=frontcover

I hold "The former ... probable by reason of the authority of St. Thomas, St. Bonaventura, and many other illustrious theologians". The reason I do not "deem the latter the more probable by reason of the authority of the holy Fathers St. Augustine, St. Fulgentius, St. Gregory, and others" is, rather, simple.

What is the greatest pain suffered by the poor souls in purgatory, even, we are told, greater than the intense fires of hell (as relayed by the many saints and mystics)? It is the excruciating pain of the sense of loss.  

So why would the unbaptized infants in the "limbo of the infants", with no personal sins, incur the same excruciating sense of loss as the souls in Purgatory, and for all eternity? This is truly a "Hell" (outer edges or not), and there is no sugarcoating it by suggesting, "the pain of loss is mild"? Really? Invincibly ignorant souls in the Limbo of the Infants? Or, do these souls fail to gain the use of reason?   

I've come to appreciate the 1983 Catechism and its teaching on this matter, which, while acknowledging the Church does not know of any other means other than Baptism that can assure infants of salvation, we are allowed to have a certain hope that God will regenerate them, through the intention of Church, and/or through the intention of parents, and/or through the prayers of the faithful, according to His mercy, His justice and His will.  

I've read some scholarly theological papers on the reason we may have some hope for aborted infants. I shudder at the thought of unbaptized infants, who die or are murdered before baptism, who will suffer an eternity of loss, an intense pain we can't even imagine, through no fault of their own, and with no sin on their soul, except that which was inherited, and must be removed.

The "Limbo of the Infants" is a theological attempt at addressing a great mystery, which is why we have seen its theology develop over the centuries.  I'm surprised Bellarmine doesn't agree with Aquinas, rather than making camp with Augustine. Hmmm.
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:07 am

MRyan wrote:
tornpage wrote:Not sure where to post this, but some may find this interesting. I post it here because it somewhat deals with necessity of baptism for salvation, as it addresses the fate of unbaptized infants who die in infancy.

I hold "The former ... probable by reason of the authority of St. Thomas, St. Bonaventura, and many other illustrious theologians". The reason I do not "deem the latter the more probable by reason of the authority of the holy Fathers St. Augustine, St. Fulgentius, St. Gregory, and others" is, rather, simple.

What is the greatest pain suffered by the poor souls in purgatory, even, we are told, greater than the intense fires of hell (as relayed by the many saints and mystics)? It is the excruciating pain of the sense of loss.  

So why would the unbaptized infants in the "limbo of the infants", with no personal sins, incur the same excruciating sense of loss as the souls in Purgatory, and for all eternity? This is truly a "Hell" (outer edges or not), and there is no sugarcoating it by suggesting, "the pain of loss is mild"? Really? Invincibly ignorant souls in the Limbo of the Infants? Or, do these souls fail to gain the use of reason?   

I've come to appreciate the 1983 Catechism and its teaching on this matter, which, while acknowledging the Church does not know of any other means other than Baptism that can assure infants of salvation, we are allowed to have a certain hope that God will regenerate them, through the intention of Church, and/or through the intention of parents, and/or through the prayers of the faithful, according to His mercy, His justice and His will.  

I've read some scholarly theological papers on the reason we may have some hope for aborted infants. I shudder at the thought of unbaptized infants, who die or are murdered before baptism, who will suffer an eternity of loss, an intense pain we can't even imagine, through no fault of their own, and with no sin on their soul, except that which was inherited, and must be removed.

The "Limbo of the Infants" is a theological attempt at addressing a great mystery, which is why we have seen its theology develop over the centuries.  I'm surprised Bellarmine doesn't agree with Aquinas, rather than making camp with Augustine. Hmmm.

Well, I posted this mainly because it's interesting material on something which we've discussed here. Btw, I was reading some of our old exchanges . . . Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI 490908 Now light that guy on fire for a bit more accuracy.

I "hope" St. Thomas is right, but I don't see these infants as "suffering" even if Augustine is right. I go down the road opened by Innocent III (and definitely forbear going beyond it):

the punishment of original sin is deprivation of the vision of God, but the punishment of actual sin is the torments of everlasting hell. DZ 410.

Do the infants have to be conscious of it? Not if St. Thomas is right, and I don't think necessarily even if St. Augustine is right.

I initiated a thread on CI where I suggested it was an "urban myth" - and a stain on St. Augustine - the suggestion by many (rather, the "assumption") that St. Augustine had these infants "suffering" some kind of pain in hell. In the thread all of St. Aug's comments on the issue were vetted, and I believe he would simply hold - or what he said certainly allows for the interpretation - that the "mildest of all punishments" to be imposed would be simply what Innocent III held - "deprivation of the vision of God."

Why must the loss be "conscious," as the loss of the beatific vision is certainly a punishment?

There are many aspects of punishment as a result of Adam's fall, having to work to obtain necessities, death, and banishment from paradise. The latter is punishment enough, whether one if conscious of the penalty or not.

Infants lost "paradise" without consent (noted, again, by Innocent III in the same paragraph, DZ 410 - "Original, therefore, which is committed without consent, is remitted without consent through the power of the sacrament") or, before reason, any consciousness of the loss. Perhaps they can likewise lose the "paradise" of eternal bliss also without a consent that is "conscious," without feeling the "pain" of the loss.

I hope St. Thomas is right, and but I don't think St. Augustine's view entaisl necessarily any "suffering." Likely Innocent III was aware of Augustine - ya think? - when he said the punishment for original sin was simply "deprivation of the vision of the vision of God."

Here's the CI thread going over St. Augustine's relevant statements:

https://www.cathinfo.com/the-sacred-catholic-liturgy-chant-prayers/st-augustine's-view-on-the-'punishment'-of-infants-who-die-without-baptism/msg902809/#msg902809

I have to go back and read the thread, but here's my summary:

(1) Augustine clearly believes that these infants are denied the beatific vision, and that this is a "condemnation."

(2) Beyond that, he clearly says that he doesn't know, but that it is "the lightest condemnation of all."

While St. Robert indicated that St. Augustine attributed "inward pain" to the infants, I do not see any of St. Aug's actual statements as indicating that.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:30 am

tornpage wrote:One of the things that I never noticed before, the author quotes  a portion of the following from the Catechism of Trent:

Necessity of Baptism

If the knowledge of what has been hitherto explained be, as it is, of highest importance to the faithful, it is no less important to them to learn that the law of Baptism, as established by our Lord, extends to all, so that unless they are regenerated to God through the grace of Baptism, be their parents Christians or infidels, they are born to eternal misery and destruction. Pastors, therefore, should often explain these words of the Gospel: Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Mike,

What do you say about that quote from the Catechism of Trent?

Mark
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:59 pm

tornpage wrote:
tornpage wrote:One of the things that I never noticed before, the author quotes  a portion of the following from the Catechism of Trent:

Necessity of Baptism

Mike,

What do you say about that quote from the Catechism of Trent?

Mark
Yes, being “born to eternal misery and destruction” certainly implies the same double sufferings as opined by Augustine and Bellarmine.

But, in Article III in its section on the Necessity of Baptism, this same Catechism promotes delayed ensoulment, which indeed was a popular theological theory at the time, and it has never been defined that the soul is joined to the body at the first instant of conception, and “there has there has never been a unanimous tradition on this point” (I disagree, and hold that there is a universal moral consensus precisely on his point).

The point is, just because instantaneous ensoulment has never been defined, the Church teaches that "The human being must be respected -- as a person -- from the very first instant of his existence" (Cardinal Ratzinger, CDF, Donum Vitae, I. 1.). Funny that, Pope Pius XII, in Munificentissimus Deus, declared "The soul is not a person, but the soul, joined to the body, is a person." Exactly, there is no such thing as a “human being” or “a person” who does not have a rational soul, which is why I am baffled by the referenced article in NCR by Father Pacholczyk.

In the same way, because Baptism is necessary for salvation, and for infants the Church knows of no other remedy, it is likely the authors of the Roman Catechism instructed pastors to emphasize that without the sacrament “they are [to be treated as] born to eternal misery and destruction” and for this reason not to delay Baptism.  

Again, does this confirm a bias towards the opinion of Augustine and Bellarmine, rather than Aquinas? Yes, but the authors may have chosen to go with the former if only to avoid giving the impression that the Limbo of the Infants might not be so bad after all; really, how bad can an eternal state of natural happiness be when there is not even a sense of loss?
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:37 pm

Mike,

Thank you.

I will share my thoughts.

I say if this is error in the Roman Catechism it is a huge problem regarding the Church as teacher of the faithful. If She can teach in a universal catechism that infants that die unbaptized "are born to eternal misery and destruction," and say it not really believing that it is true, but, "hey, it will motivate people to baptize . . ."

She's a seller of snake oil remedies, and not the surrogate of Christ.

Or, somewhat less colorfully . . . not much to be trusted.

I don't like, or believe, either option.

I would try to understand precisely what She means by "eternal misery" and "destruction." I have not thought about that deep enough, or done enough study to see if those terms can be understood as a reference to the condemnation of loss of the beatific vision, and not more. That study would involve a use of the terms by the Fathers, the Church in previous statements, Scripture, etc.

For example. in Osee, the Lord says, "Destruction is thy own, O Israel: thy help is only in me." Between those two options, those infants, lacking the Lord's remedy and help, have "destruction," and it is eternal.

The Catechism says what it says. I assume it to be true, and try to understand it without running afoul of the credible and true.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 am

The cited work has the relevant Latin of the Roman Catechism as "in sempiternam miseriam et interitum a parentibus, sive illi fideles sive infideles sint, procreentur."

It is translated in footnote 1 on pg. 8 as "they are begotten by their parents (whether these be faithful or unbelievers), to eternal wretchedness and ruin." On page 5 it gives two other translations, the first "Donovan's translation, published by ecclesiastical authority (Manchester, 1855, p. 167)," which translates it, "be their parents Christian or infidel, are born to eternal misery and perdition." The second is from "an earlier authorized version (permissu Superiorum, London, 1687, p.161)," and translates the relevant portion as "are begotten to eternal misery and destruction."

I'm looking into usage in Latin. I find this regarding "interitum."

It's a form of "intereō." https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/interitum. This is translated as,

intereō (present infinitive interīre, perfect active interiī or interīvī, supine interitum); irregular conjugation, irregular, no passive

(intransitive) to go among, become lost in
(intransitive) to disappear, vanish
         Synonyms: cedō, discedō, decēdō, concēdō, excēdō, pereō
         Antonyms: cresco, exorior, orior, coorior, oborior, appāreō, pāreō, ēmergō,
         procedo
(intransitive) to be ruined, undone
(intransitive) to die
         Synonyms: morior, pereō, occumbō, dēfungor, exspīrō, dēcēdō, cadō, occidō,
         discēdō, dēficiō

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intereo#Latin

Another site gives examples of translated passages using "interitus" (in various forms). Interestingly, the first example it gives is as follows:

At vero salutem cupientibus nihil medium inter laboriosum certamen aut interitum.

But for those who seek salvation there can be no middle ground between laborious struggle and destruction.

https://glosbe.com/la/en/interitu

The quote is unsourced, but I searched and found that this is from an Encyclical of Leo XIII, Inimica Vis (1892). Here it is in context:

Nec fortasse falso: propterea quod si animorum habitus utrimque spectetur, plus quidem videntur adhibere contentionis qui inferunt religioni bellum, quam qui propulsant. At vero salutem cupientibus nihil medium inter laboriosum certamen aut interitum.

Nor is this perhaps false; especially since if the dispositions of both sides be inspected, those who wage war on religion seem to show more energy than those who repel it. But for those who seek salvation there can be no middle ground between laborious struggle and destruction.

https://www.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_08121892_inimica-vis.html

The "middle ground" language reminded me of Pius VI's Bull, “Auctorem Fidei,” where he states:

2626 1526 26. Doctrina, quae velut fabulam Pelagianam explodit locum illum inferorum (quem limbi puerorum nomine fideles passim designant), in quo animae decedentium cum sola originali culpa poena damni citra poenam ignis puniantur; perinde ac si hoc ipso, quod, qui poenam ignis removent, inducerent locum illum et statum medium expertem culpae et poenae inter regnum Dei et damnationem aeternam, qualem fabulabantur Pelagiani: - falsa, temeraria, in scholas catholicas iniuriosa.

https://patristica.net/denzinger/enchiridion-symbolorum.html

The doctrine which rejects as a Pelagian fable, that place of the lower regions (which the faithful generally designate by the name of the limbo of children) in which the souls of those departing with the sole guilt of original sin are punished with the punishment of the condemned, exclusive of the punishment of fire, just as if, by this very fact, that these who remove the punishment of fire introduced that middle place and state free of guilt and of punishment between the kingdom of God and eternal damnation, such as that about which the Pelagians idly talk,--false, rash, injurious to Catholic schools.

https://www.patristica.net/denzinger/#n1500

My knowledge of Latin is poor, but perhaps "interritum" is being used in the Roman Catechism in the sense of the place of the "damned," with whom, since there are only two eternal and final categories - saved and damned - and no "middle ground," the infants are numbered, albeit, as I hope, simply "suffering" deprivation of the beatific vision.

I'll do more digging on "interritum," and then "miseriam."

tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am

tornpage wrote:

My knowledge of Latin is poor, but perhaps "interritum" is being used in the Roman Catechism in the sense of the place of the "damned," with whom, since there are only two eternal and final categories - saved and damned - and no "middle ground," the infants are numbered, albeit, as I hope, simply "suffering" deprivation of the beatific vision.

To use the word in that sense, referring simply to hell, the only alternative to heaven - if one understands Limbo as being on the "borders of hell," - would be consistent with why St. Augustine put the infants there - there is no other place to put them.

As I said elsewhere:

St. Augustine looked at the relevant Scriptural passages, which indicate a final judgment to the "right hand or the left," to a heaven or hell. He addresses those passages in the cited Sermon 294. As I said, it is accepted by Church teaching that there is "no middle place," and that one ends up either in heaven or hell, whether that place is called "Limbo" for the infants because it is on the border or outer reach of hell or not; it's still part of the one, hell, and not the only other, heaven. Necessarily, and so Augustine quite clearly reasons.

Augustine describes the infants as consigned to the "fires of hell" because that is how Scripture describes hell, i.e., a place of eternal flame. He does not do more than reason, a) there are two eternal resting places, heaven and hell; b) hell is Scripturally described as a place of eternal fire, and c) these infants don't go to heaven, but go to hell, the place Scripture describes as of "eternal fire." I've looked at the passages I think fairly closely, and I do not see him indicating these infants are "tormented," or undergo some punishment beyond deprivation of the beatific vision. I say again, if he says they do, let's see the passages and address them.

What he does say, explicitly, is that the "condemnation" these infants undergo is "the lightest condemnation of all," and he says this with "no doubt" whatsoever.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down