Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility

2 posters

Go down

Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility Empty Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility

Post  tornpage Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:19 pm

Sedes hold to the theological distinctions and "truths" of the Pre-V2 Magisterium and the theologians and their manuals. Thus, they maintain that the Church remains "indefectible" post-V2 as understood by the above, despite the apostate, or at least heretical - in their view at least, with their New Mass, etc. - "Conciliar" hierarchy.

Well, let us look at the pre-V2 understanding of the Church's indefectibility.

Cardinal Franzelin (papal theologian to Vatican I) and associates, who drafted the First Dogmatic Constitution of the Church in preparation for Vatican I, like the schema Cardinal Ottaviani oversaw in preparation for Vatican II, said this about the indefectibility of the Church:

We declare, moreover, that, whether one considers its existence or its constitution, the Church of Christ is an everlasting and indefectible society, and that, after it, no more complete nor more perfect economy of salvation is to be hoped for in this world. For, to the very end of the world the pilgrims of this earth are to be saved through Christ. Consequently, his Church, the only society of salvation, will last until the end of the world ever unchangeable and unchanged in its constitution. Therefore, although the Church is growing—and We wish that it may always grow in faith and charity for the upbuilding of Christ's body—although it evolves in a variety of ways according to the changing times and circuмstances in which it is constantly displaying activity, nevertheless, it remains unchangeable in itself and in the constitution it received from Christ. Therefore, Christ's Church can never lose its properties and its qualities, its sacred teaching authority, priestly office, and governing body, so that through his visible body, Christ may always be the way, the truth, and the life for all men.

Jesuit Fathers of St. Mary's College. The Church Teaches: Docuмents of the Church in English Translation . TAN Books. Kindle Edition.

The "governing body" is one possessed with the "power of order and jurisdiction," which entails:

"the following rights:

the right to frame and sanction laws which it considers useful or necessary, i.e. legislative power;

the right to judge how the faithful observe these laws i.e. judicial power;

the right to enforce obedience, and to punish disobedience to its laws i.e. coercive power;

the right to make all due provision for the proper celebration of worship, i.e. administrative power.

https://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=5760

On March 3, 2023, Fr. Desposito, a Sede priest under Bishop Sanborn - a Sedeprivationist, but that's another story; suffice for our purposes to say, Sede - posted the following on what was known as Twitter (now X):

There is a simple way to show that sedevacantist bishops are not members of the Catholic hierarchy (of jurisdiction). Sedevacantist bishops do indeed have supplied power to forgive sins. But does anyone recognize the power to enact laws in a sedevacantist bishop? Authority is defined as 'the ability to pass a law'. Does your sedevacantist bishop enact laws in your church? Does your sedevacantist bishop have power over a particular territory? Does your sedevacantist bishop grant special indulgences? Does your sedevacantist bishop refers to his church as a cathedral? The answer to these questions is in the negative. If your sedevacantist bishop were in fact a member of the Catholic hierarchy (of jurisdiction), he would be able to demand obedience. His laws would bind in conscience. No sedevacantist bishop has such power.

Very good, and correct.

So where is the "governing body" of the Church, which "indefectibility" requires to be extant, continuing the role of Christ as King and ruler on earth with the power of command, "to the very end of the world" (see the fathers of Vatican I's schema above) Bishop Sanborn? No, even his underling, Fr. Desposito, would reject that claim.

If the Church remains "indefectible," my Sede friends, where is it's governing body? Where is the ordinary who rejects the "heresy" of V2, the New Mass, etc.? The "ordinary," the bishop, with both the Catholic faith and the power of jurisdiction?
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility Empty Re: Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility

Post  MRyan Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:47 pm

tornpage wrote:Sedes hold to the theological distinctions and "truths" of the Pre-V2 Magisterium and the theologians and their manuals. Thus, they maintain that the Church remains "indefectible" post-V2 as understood by the above, despite the apostate, or at least heretical - in their view at least, with their New Mass, etc. - "Conciliar" hierarchy.

Cardinal Franzelin (papal theologian to Vatican I) and associates, who drafted the First Dogmatic Constitution of the Church in preparation for Vatican I, like the schema Cardinal Ottaviani oversaw in preparation for Vatican II, said this about the indefectibility of the Church:

We declare, moreover, that, whether one considers its existence or its constitution, the Church of Christ is an everlasting and indefectible society, and that, after it, no more complete nor more perfect economy of salvation is to be hoped for in this world. For, to the very end of the world the pilgrims of this earth are to be saved through Christ. Consequently, his Church, the only society of salvation, will last until the end of the world ever unchangeable and unchanged in its constitution. Therefore, although the Church is growing—and We wish that it may always grow in faith and charity for the upbuilding of Christ's body—although it evolves in a variety of ways according to the changing times and circuмstances in which it is constantly displaying activity, nevertheless, it remains unchangeable in itself and in the constitution it received from Christ. Therefore, Christ's Church can never lose its properties and its qualities, its sacred teaching authority, priestly office, and governing body, so that through his visible body, Christ may always be the way, the truth, and the life for all men.

Jesuit Fathers of St. Mary's College. The Church Teaches: Docuмents of the Church in English Translation . TAN Books. Kindle Edition.

The "governing body" is one possessed with the "power of order and jurisdiction," which entails:

"the following rights:

the right to frame and sanction laws which it considers useful or necessary, i.e. legislative power;

the right to enforce obedience, and to punish disobedience to its laws i.e. coercive power;

the right to make all due provision for the proper celebration of worship, i.e. administrative power.

On March 3, 2023, Fr. Desposito, a Sede priest under Bishop Sanborn - a Sedeprivationist, but that's another story; suffice for our purposes to say, Sede - posted the following on what was known as Twitter (now X):

There is a simple way to show that sedevacantist bishops are not members of the Catholic hierarchy (of jurisdiction). Sedevacantist bishops do indeed have supplied power to forgive sins. But does anyone recognize the power to enact laws in a sedevacantist bishop? Authority is defined as 'the ability to pass a law'. Does your sedevacantist bishop enact laws in your church? Does your sedevacantist bishop have power over a particular territory? Does your sedevacantist bishop grant special indulgences? Does your sedevacantist bishop refers to his church as a cathedral? The answer to these questions is in the negative. If your sedevacantist bishop were in fact a member of the Catholic hierarchy (of jurisdiction), he would be able to demand obedience. His laws would bind in conscience. No sedevacantist bishop has such power.

Very good, and correct.

So where is the "governing body" of the Church, which "indefectibility" requires to be extant, continuing the role of Christ as King and ruler on earth with the power of command, "to the very end of the world" (see the fathers of Vatican I's schema above) Bishop Sanborn? No, even his underling, Fr. Desposito, would reject that claim.

If the Church remains "indefectible," my Sede friends, where is it's governing body? Where is the ordinary who rejects the "heresy" of V2, the New Mass, etc.? The "ordinary," the bishop, with both the Catholic faith and the power of jurisdiction?
The visible governing body, like the visible Church itself, I beleive an informed sede would tell you, is there, but greatly obscured, for the true Church has been eclipsed (no shortage of prophesies here) by a false church, but not totally (like the still visible auro of the sun behind the moon's eclipse).

The bigger question in my mind is, where is the unity and unicity of the Church if there is no unity of Faith?

As Deacon Nick Donnelly (@ProtecttheFaith) said:

After 11 years of relentless grave error and heresy - Either Jorge Bergoglio isn't pope - or the Church isn't indefectible I'm not going to twist myself into tortuous canonical knots or rarified, obscure theological arguments to square this circle

Indeed.
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility Empty Re: Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility

Post  tornpage Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:25 pm

MRyan wrote:
tornpage wrote:Sedes hold to the theological distinctions and "truths" of the Pre-V2 Magisterium and the theologians and their manuals. Thus, they maintain that the Church remains "indefectible" post-V2 as understood by the above, despite the apostate, or at least heretical - in their view at least, with their New Mass, etc. - "Conciliar" hierarchy.

"the following rights:

Very good, and correct.

The visible governing body, like the visible Church itself, I beleive an informed sede would tell you, is there, but greatly obscured, for the true Church has been eclipsed (no shortage of prophesies here) by a false church, but not totally (like the still visible auro of the sun behind the moon's eclipse).

The bigger question in my mind is, where is the unity and unicity of the Church if there is no unity of Faith?

As Deacon Nick Donnelly (@ProtecttheFaith) said:

After 11 years of relentless grave error and heresy - Either Jorge Bergoglio isn't pope - or the Church isn't indefectible I'm not going to twist myself into tortuous canonical knots or rarified, obscure theological arguments to square this circle

Indeed.

Yeah, they will "tell me" a lot of things . . . talk, talk. Talk their way around the point and evade it.

Where is the "governing authority"? Maybe it's "eclipsed," or is there by implication . . . an "implied governing body."  Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility 1f60f
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:28 pm

As to Deacon Nick, I'm not doing any twisting either. It is all rather simple. As Our Lord said, and in the Olivet discourse itself (most relevantly), "behold, I have told you before."

No man was God, could be God, until the time came for God to become man.

Then the time gave it proof.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:17 pm

tornpage wrote:As to Deacon Nick, I'm not doing any twisting either. It is all rather simple. As Our Lord said, and in the Olivet discourse itself (most relevantly), "behold, I have told you before."

Mark, help me out here, what does the Incarnation in time have that to do with "After 11 years of relentless grave error and heresy - Either Jorge Bergoglio isn't pope - or the Church isn't indefectible"?
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:27 pm

tornpage wrote:As to Deacon Nick, I'm not doing any twisting either. It is all rather simple. As Our Lord said, and in the Olivet discourse itself (most relevantly), "behold, I have told you before."

The Church did not, could not defect, until the time came for the Holy Spirit to be "taken out of the way."

tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:52 pm

tornpage wrote:

The Church did not, could not defect, until the time came for the Holy Spirit to be "taken out of the way."

Wait, you sarcastically stated:
Where is the "governing authority"? Maybe it's "eclipsed," or is there by implication . . . an "implied governing body." Shocked
You now say (I think) that God has abandoned, as Scripture says, the divinely established protection of the Church (the pope?). Would that be the one 'governing body' ... possessed with the "power of order and jurisdiction"?
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:07 pm

Need to get into this on something other than a tablet. Later, amigo.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:57 pm

MRyan wrote:
tornpage wrote:

Where is the "governing authority"? Maybe it's "eclipsed," or is there by implication . . . an "implied governing body." Shocked
You now say (I think) that God has abandoned, as Scripture says, the divinely established protection of the Church (the pope?). Would that be the one 'governing body' ... possessed with the "power of order and jurisdiction"?

Sorry if that was confusing.

Sedes say they hold to the pre-V2 expressions of the faith, liturgically, in doctrine, etc. Well, that doctrine says that the "governing body" must be extant and in the Church until the end of the world, and so it has to be there for the Sede position to be true - in the sense of, the old doctrine is true and holds until the end of the world, as they maintain.

To simply say, the "governing body" is eclipsed is a cop out, and evasion if you really believe as they do. I'm being sarcastic, yes: "oh, yeah, it's 'eclipsed' - it's like an implied governing body, like an mplicit faith, like an implicit baptism of desire, etc.

Those other "implicit" chimera.

Bad joke, I guess. Certainly a flat one. pale

Last edited by tornpage on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:00 pm

As to what I believe, the old rules don't apply in these prophesied times, so I don't need to identify a hierarchy with the true power of jurisdiction.

Not my problem . . . it's theirs.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:16 pm

tornpage wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sorry if that was confusing.

Sedes say they hold to the pre-V2 expressions of the faith, liturgically, in doctrine, etc. Well, that doctrine says that the "governing body" must be extant and in the Church until the end of the world, and so it has to be there for the Sede position to be true - in the sense of, the old doctrine is true and holds until the end of the world, as they maintain.

To simply say, the "governing body" is eclipsed is a cop out, and evasion if you really believe as they do. I'm being sarcastic, yes: "oh, yeah, it's 'eclipsed' - it's like an implied governing body, like an implicit faith, like an implicit baptism of desire, etc.

Those other "implicit" chimera.

Bad joke, I guess. Certainly a flat one. pale
Flat as a pancake, flat as Kansas, and flat as the earth! But still funny, in a Torpage sort of way.lol!

Sede's will insist that the "governing body" is still extant "and in the Church until the end of the world". It's extant, just eclipsed, but not totally. Alleging that this is like saying an "implicit" extant governing body misses the mark, Mark.

I wonder though, didn't you say that you believe that the Church's indefectibility, as commonly understood pre-VCII, is suspended, as in God suspending the movement of the sun (Joshua 10:13).  

So you say the governing body has been suspended, and sede's say it's been eclipsed. Yeah, big difference.
 Razz
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:29 pm

Well, I know you too well to think you don't see the difference. This is you dusting off and polishing the old sword. Ok . . . we 'll call that a palpable hit.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:05 pm

tornpage wrote:Well, I know you too well to think you don't see the difference. This is you dusting off and polishing the old sword. Ok . . . we 'll call that a palpable hit.

Just a glancing blow, bounced right off. Of course I see it, and perhaps it is not as subtle as I implied. You summed up the difference like this:

tornpage wrote:As to what I believe, the old rules don't apply in these prophesied times, so I don't need to identify a hierarchy with the true power of jurisdiction.

Which means you believe the "consummation of the age" is here. You also cited Chrysostom in imploring us to return to the Scriptures because the proximate rule of faith has been taken away - that which stands in the way of the antichrist. A sede would say no, that time has not yet come, but we're clearly headed in that direction (though the visible "governing authority" complete with the ordinary power of order/jurisdiction is out there, somewhere, it MUST be, if only eclipsed).

Chrysostom: An Exposition of the Orthodox Faith, Book IV
It should be known that the Antichrist is bound to come. Every one, therefore, who confesses not that the Son of God came in the flesh and is perfect God and became perfect man, after being God, is Antichrist (1 John 2:22). But in a peculiar and special sense he who comes at the consummation of the age is called Antichrist.

If this is the consummation, where are the "signs and wonders" of the Antichrist? What if Francis is a precursor to the AntiChrist? Does he not at least "confess that the Son of Man came in the flesh"? Hmmm, has he ever confessed this? He's a humanist and a naturalist, and hardly ever (or never) speaks of the divine nature of Christ as 2nd Person of the Trinity. Seems to speak only of His humanity.

Whether Francis is the precursor, or the real deal (Antichrist), the proximate rule of faith seems to have been taken away and we are sheep without a shepherd. Perhaps you are correct.

I read the B.E. Strauss Even to the Consummation of the Age link, but can you provide the link to the CI discussion to which you refer?  Thanks.
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:30 am

Mike,

I provided the link in one of my posts in your thread, "Infallible Safety." Here it is again:

https://www.cathinfo.com/the-sacred-catholic-liturgy-chant-prayers/vatican-council-says-there-will-be-shepherds-'usque-ad-consummationem-saeculi'/

I go back to it often. Struthio had as abundance of citations of the Fathers, etc. I think he is convincing that the "consummation of the age," in the writings of many Fathers, is understood as a period time, not a spot of time, not only the end in "Christ returns - bang - end of world," but a period which includes the Great Apostasy, coming of Antichrists, etc.

St. Augstine groups them together as all being including in the "last judgment," which again would make that a period of time including the final judgment of all men at the end of time itself:

That the last judgment, then, shall be administered by Jesus Christ in the manner predicted in the sacred writings is denied or doubted by no one, unless by those who, through some incredible animosity or blindness, decline to believe these writings, though already their truth is demonstrated to all the world. And at or in connection with that judgment the following events shall come to pass, as we have learned: Elias the Tishbite shall come; the Jєωs shall believe; Antichrist shall persecute; Christ shall judge; the dead shall rise; the good and the wicked shall be separated; the world shall be burned and renewed. All these things, we believe, shall come to pass; but how, or in what order, human understanding cannot perfectly teach us, but only the experience of the events themselves. My opinion, however, is, that they will happen in the order in which I have related them.

City of God, Book XX, Chapter 30
https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/120120.htm

And I want to stress here the point that it is not about a one to one correspondence in all particulars. For example, I disagree with St. Augustine about a time coming when there's some mass conversions of Jews when "the Jews shall believe" - God doesn't work with that group anymore; they've been judged and desolated; the elect Jews who are to be saved have been converting since St. Peter, St. Paul, etc.

I disagree with Struthio about some particulars; I am undoubtedly wrong about some particulars. The point is the overarching principle and pattern: the "consummation of the age" is a period of time including the Great Apostasy preceding Our Lord's coming again. a time when the shepherd(s) are struck and the sheep scattered. etc.

"Padre Peregrino," Father David Nix, has some interesting podcasts recently on the Olivet Discourse, and thinks the Martin Luther statue and Pachamama statues in the Vatican is a sign of the "abomination of desolation." I agree that's a sign. It's within the pattern, within the model. I don't agree with Fr. Nix about some of his particulars, either. But Isaiah, who had a vision of Christ and His redemptive sufferings, would have been very surprised I'm sure at some of the particulars of Our Lord's career on earth - no mere man among us will get the details precisely. It's as if God were saying, "I'll grant you, my creature, this much of my plan or program, but you are not capable, or I will not give you as worthy, of receiving it all."

And God has told us that things will be clearer as events unfold:

Daniel 12

9 And he said: Go, Daniel, because the words are shut up, and sealed until the appointed time.

Et ait : Vade, Daniel, quia clausi sunt signatique sermones usque ad praefinitum tempus.

10 Many shall be chosen, and made white, and shall be tried as fire: and the wicked shall deal wickedly, and none of the wicked shall understand, but the learned shall understand.

Eligentur, et dealbabuntur, et quasi ignis probabuntur multi : et impie agent impii, neque intelligent omnes impii : porro docti intelligent.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:37 am

MRyan wrote:
tornpage wrote:Well, I know you too well to think you don't see the difference. This is you dusting off and polishing the old sword. Ok . . . we 'll call that a palpable hit.

Just a glancing blow, bounced right off. Of course I see it, and perhaps it is not as subtle as I implied. You summed up the difference like this:

tornpage wrote:As to what I believe, the old rules don't apply in these prophesied times, so I don't need to identify a hierarchy with the true power of jurisdiction.

Which means you believe the "consummation of the age" is here. You also cited Chrysostom in imploring us to return to the Scriptures because the proximate rule of faith has been taken away - that which stands in the way of the antichrist. A sede would say no, that time has not yet come, but we're clearly headed in that direction (though the visible "governing authority" complete with the ordinary power of order/jurisdiction is out there, somewhere, it MUST be, if only eclipsed).

It should be known that the Antichrist is bound to come. Every one, therefore, who confesses not that the Son of God came in the flesh and is perfect God and became perfect man, after being God, is Antichrist (1 John 2:22). But in a peculiar and special sense he who comes at the consummation of the age is called Antichrist.

If this is the consummation, where are the "signs and wonders" of the Antichrist? What if Francis is a precursor to the AntiChrist? Does he not at least "confess that the Son of Man came in the flesh"? Hmmm, has he ever confessed this? He's a humanist and a naturalist, and hardly ever (or never) speaks of the divine nature of Christ as 2nd Person of the Trinity. Seems to speak only of His humanity.

Whether Francis is the precursor, or the real deal (Antichrist), the proximate rule of faith seems to have been taken away and we are sheep without a shepherd. Perhaps you are correct.

I read the B.E. Strauss Even to the Consummation of the Age link, but can you provide the link to the CI discussion to which you refer?  Thanks.

I have some thoughts about "signs and wonders." I will post later after I put it together. For now, consider a spiritual dimension - always good to think about God using metaphors, symbols, and words as "signs" themselves. Consider, for example, Our Lord and what made Him "wonder":

6 And he wondered because of their unbelief, and he went through the villages round about teaching

et mirabatur propter incredulitatem eorum, et circuibat castella in circuitu docens.  [Mark 6:6]

https://www.drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drl&bk=48&ch=6&l=6#x
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:18 am

tornpage wrote:
MRyan wrote:

I have some thoughts about "signs and wonders." I will post later after I put it together. For now, consider a spiritual dimension - always good to think about God using metaphors, symbols, and words as "signs" themselves. Consider, for example, Our Lord and what made Him "wonder":

6 And he wondered because of their unbelief, and he went through the villages round about teaching

et mirabatur propter incredulitatem eorum, et circuibat castella in circuitu docens.  [Mark 6]

https://www.drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drl&bk=48&ch=6&l=6#x

Hey . . . and in the last post, I just mentioned agreeing with Fr. Nix that the pachamama statue in St. Peter's was a "sign" of the "abomination of desolation."  

So, there's one of Franny boy's "signs." Laughing

Actually, not funny at all.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:14 pm

tornpage wrote:Mike,

And I want to stress here the point that it is not about a one to one correspondence in all particulars. For example, I disagree with St. Augustine about a time coming when there's some mass conversions of Jews when "the Jews shall believe" - God doesn't work with that group anymore; they've been judged and desolated; the elect Jews who are to be saved have been converting since St. Peter, St. Paul, etc.

Yes and no. Yes, the Jews have "been judged and desolated; the elect Jews who are to be saved have been converting since St. Peter, St. Paul, etc." But, NO, to no mass conversion, for "the future conversion of the Jewish nation to the Faith", as Br. Andre says, “Though it is not a defined dogma, ... is a common teaching of the Fathers and Doctors, inferred directly from Holy Scripture. This mass conversion (which need not be absolutely total) will be a sign of the immanent approach of the General Judgment.”

See: The Jewish Nation will Enter the Church by Brother Andre Marie (https://catholicism.org/ad-rem-no-310.html).

Unfortunately, some would use the "end times conversion" doctrine as an excuse (e.g., Benedict XVI) to say "leave the Jews alone, it's in God's hands", as if our Lord' s command in Matthew 28:19 does not apply to present and future generations of Jews. Unbelievable (and implies that Jews faithful to their "Irrevocable Covenant" can be saved right where they are. See, they can't be faulted for not recognizing the "time of their visition").
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:21 am

MRyan wrote:
tornpage wrote:Mike,

Yes and no. Yes, the Jews have "been judged and desolated; the elect Jews who are to be saved have been converting since St. Peter, St. Paul, etc." But, NO, to no mass conversion, for "the future conversion of the Jewish nation to the Faith", as Br. Andre says, “Though it is not a defined dogma, ... is a common teaching of the Fathers and Doctors, inferred directly from Holy Scripture. This mass conversion (which need not be absolutely total) will be a sign of the immanent approach of the General Judgment.”

See: The Jewish Nation will Enter the Church by Brother Andre Marie (https://catholicism.org/ad-rem-no-310.html).

Unfortunately, some would use the "end times conversion" doctrine as an excuse (e.g., Benedict XVI) to say "leave the Jews alone, it's in God's hands", as if our Lord' s command in Matthew 28:19 does not apply to present and future generations of Jews. Unbelievable (and implies that Jews faithful to their "Irrevocable Covenant" can be saved right where they are. See, they can't be faulted for not recognizing the "time of their visition").

Mike,

Yes, I know the "majority view" on the Jews converting en masse before the end. I also know that the Scriptural support for it is based on easily exposed assumptions or, as Br. Andre says without recognition of the exposition (which will follow), is "inferred directly from Scripture."

Br. Andre cites four Scriptural verses: Romans 11:25, Osse 3:4-5, Mal. 4:5, and Matt. 17:11. I'll take the real doozy first - Matt. 17:11.

Let's quote Br. Andre in full:

This prophesy of the return of Elias — who never died, but was taken away in a fiery chariot — was so strong at the time of our Lord that both He and Saint John the Baptist were mistaken for Elias by many of the people. Our Lord even referred to Saint John as Elias, but also reassured the Apostles after the Transfiguration that “Elias indeed shall come and restore all things” (Matt. 17:11).

Yes, brother, Our Lord did an explication de texte of the OT prophecy of Elias's return: He said St. John was the "Elias" that was to come (Mt 11:14) but apparently he was "mistaken" as to St. John being Elias as well. So how does Br. Andre deal with Our Lord's "mistaken" explication de texte - by citing Mt. 17:11. Let's see that in context:

10 And his disciples asked him, saying: Why then do the scribes say that Elias must come first? 11 But he answering, said to them: Elias indeed shall come, and restore all things.  12 But I say to you, that Elias is already come, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they had a mind. So also the Son of man shall suffer from them.  13 Then the disciples understood, that he had spoken to them of John the Baptist.

Our Lord is asked by the disciples about the scribes saying Elias will come. He repeats the Scripture back to them, and then says that is/was fulfilled: he came already, in St. John. So again, here, Our Lord says that St. John is Elias.

Those who know Scripture will say, "ah, but St. John said he was not Elias." John 1:21. Haydock deals with the contradiction between Our Lord saying John was, and John saying he wasn't, as follows:

To their next question, if he was not Elias? He answered: he was not: because in person he was not; though our Saviour (Matthew xi. 14.) says he was Elias: to wit, in spirit and office only. Their third question was, if he was a prophet? He answered, no. Yet Christ (Matthew xi.) tells us, he was a prophet, and more than a prophet. In the ordinary acceptation only, they were called prophets who foretold things to come: John then, with truth, as well as humility, could say he was not a prophet; not being sent to foretell the coming of the Messias, but to point him out as already come, and present with the Jews. (Witham)

Notice what is going on here. John also denies being a "prophet," although Christ said he was a prophet. Haydock notes, St. John is right because technically he wasn't as not foretelling things to come. Putting aside St. John's "prophecy"  -

"Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who taketh away the sin of the world.  30 This is he, of whom I said: After me there cometh a man, who is preferred before me: because he was before me."

- I would ask, "Why can John respond technically that he wasn't a prophet, but not respond technically that he was not Elias in the flesh?" Hmmm.

And why must we assume that Our Lord was referring to the "spirit and office" of Elias in identifying John as Elias, and that a physical return of the "real" Elias remains, and not follow Our Lord's exact claim that St. Johnwas Elias and that the Scripture was fulfilled by the logical conclusion that the Scriptural prophecy of Elias's return was also a reference to the "spirit and office" of Elias returning in St. John, and not a physical return?

Because . . . the "common opinion" of the Fathers. Ok. I respect that, and am not dogmatic about my conclusion. But I do stick to it.

As St. Augustine said:

For the reasonings of any men whatsoever, even though they be Catholics, and of high reputation, are not to be treated by us in the same way as the canonical Scriptures are treated. We are at liberty, without doing any violence to the respect which these men deserve, to condemn and reject anything in their writings, if perchance we shall find that they have entertained opinions differing from that which others or we ourselves have, by the divine help, discovered to be the truth. I deal thus with the writings of others, and I wish my intelligent readers to deal thus with mine.

Augustine, Saint. The Complete Works of St. Augustine: Cross-linked to the Bible and with in-line footnotes (p. 1534). Kindle Edition.

Quite right.

As to the other passages, Romans 11:25 just says, basically, that "all Israel" will be saved when all the Gentiles, who are now "of Israel," come in and join their Jewish elect brethren. baptism of blood Sungenis has a good study on this. Mal. 4:5 is simply the prophecy of Elias's return itself. Osee 3:4-5 says:

4 For the children of Israel shall sit many days without king, and without prince, and without sacrifice, and without altar, and without ephod, and without theraphim.  5 And after this the children of Israel shall return, and shall seek the Lord their God, and David their king: and they shall fear the Lord, and his goodness in the last days.

Suffice to say I think this was fulfilled, like the prophecy of Joel regarding the "last days" was fulfilled with Our Lord's first advent and by the Holy Spirit's coming to men after His Ascension, as St. Peter told us - Acts 2:16.

That's it for now . . . I'm exhausted.

tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:31 am

"baptism of blood Sungenis." Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility 1f605

Oh that auto correct thingie! I was referring to Bobbie. Lol
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:40 am

As to Scripture supporting the "no en masse converstion" view, here's a brief sample:

Galatians 4

21 Tell me, you that desire to be under the law, have you not read the law?  22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, and the other by a free woman.  23 But he who was of the bondwoman, was born according to the flesh: but he of the free woman, was by promise.  24 Which things are said by an allegory. For these are the two testaments. The one from mount Sina, engendering unto bondage; which is Agar:  25 For Sina is a mountain in Arabia, which hath affinity to that Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

26 But that Jerusalem, which is above, is free: which is our mother.  27 For it is written: Rejoice, thou barren, that bearest not: break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for many are the children of the desolate, more than of her that hath a husband.  28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.  29 But as then he, that was born according to the flesh, persecuted him that was after the spirit; so also it is now.  30 But what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son; for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the free woman. 31 So then, brethren, we are not the children of the bondwoman, but of the free: by the freedom wherewith Christ has made us free.

. . .

Romans 11

7 What then? That which Israel sought, he hath not obtained: but the election hath obtained it; and the rest have been blinded.  8 As it is written: God hath given them the spirit of insensibility; eyes that they should not see; and ears that they should not hear, until this present day.  9 And David saith: Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumbling block, and a recompense unto them.  10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see: and bow down their back always.

. . .

PS 68

21 In thy sight are all they that afflict me; my heart hath expected reproach and misery. And I looked for one that would grieve together with me, but there was none: and for one that would comfort me, and I found none.  22 And they gave me gall for my food, and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.  23 Let their table become as a snare before them, and a recompense, and a stumblingblock.  24 Let their eyes be darkened that they see not; and their back bend thou down always.  25 Pour out thy indignation upon them: and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.  26 Let their habitation be made desolate: and let there be none to dwell in their tabernacles.  27 Because they have persecuted him whom thou hast smitten; and they have added to the grief of my wounds.  28 Add thou iniquity upon their iniquity: and let them not come into thy justice.  29 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living; and with the just let them not be written.

. . .
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:12 pm

”tornpage” wrote:Let's quote Br. Andre in full:

This prophesy of the return of Elias — who never died, but was taken away in a fiery chariot — was so strong at the time of our Lord that both He and Saint John the Baptist were mistaken for Elias by many of the people. Our Lord even referred to Saint John as Elias, but also reassured the Apostles after the Transfiguration that “Elias indeed shall come and restore all things” (Matt. 17:11).

Yes, brother, Our Lord did an explication de texte of the OT prophecy of Elias's return: He said St. John was the "Elias" that was to come (Mt 11:14) but apparently he [Our Lord] was "mistaken" as to St. John being Elias as well. So how does Br. Andre deal with Our Lord's "mistaken" explication de texte - by citing Mt. 17:11.

No, Mark, Br. Andre never said that our Lord was "mistaken" about “St. John being Elias as well”, he said, “many of the people… were mistaken”, and then “Our Lord even referred to Saint John as Elias”, which He certainly did without mistaking him for Elias in the flesh - but referred to him spiritually - as a metaphor. Read him again, you should know better than to suggest Br. Andre would accuse Our Lord of being “mistaken” about anything.

Concerning Mt. 17:11, when Our Lord declared that “Elias indeed shall come, and restore all things”, He was speaking of the end times, precisely as Malachi prophesized:

“Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord. He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse” (Malachi 4:5-6).

So, yes, Malachi could be read as referring both to the Messiah in the Flesh (through Elias=John the Baptist), and in the End Times (through Elias). Our Lord spoke about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD and the Apocalypse precisely in these "singular" terms. But, in the context of Mt. 17:11, it should be clear He is referring to the End Times.  

John the Baptist said the prophecy from Isaiah 40:3 applied to him, while simultaneously maintaining he was not Elias (John 1:23). This was true because there would be two advents, and the disciples, right after the Transfiguration (with the appearance of Elias), were still in the dark about His 2nd Coming, and because they seemed to believe that they were already in or at least very near the end times, there is a sense we could say they were right, for IF Israel had accepted Jesus, that was what would have occurred. Jesus alluded to this when He answered:

“And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elias who was to come” (Matthew 11:14). This verse suggests that John the Baptist would have been a complete fulfillment of the ministry of Elijah as Jesus’s forerunner—IF Israel had accepted Jesus as its Messiah.

I’ll close with just three testimonies to this truth:

St. Robert Bellarmine in De Summo Pontifice (I, 3):
"the coming of Enoch and Elias, who live even now and shall live until they come to oppose Antichrist himself, and to preserve the elect in the faith of Christ, and in the end shall convert the Jews, and it is certain that this is not yet fulfilled."

Pope Innocent III in Regi Francorum (a letter about the Jews to the Kings of France and Germany):
“not displeasing to the Lord, but rather, acceptable to Him that the Dispersion of the Jews should live and do service under Catholic Kings and Christian princes – the remnants of which then will finally be saved (Romans 9:3-24), since in those days Judah will be saved (Jeremiah 33:6-26) and Israel will dwell in mutual trust.”

Pope Martin V, Declaration on the Protection of the Jews, 1419:
“Whereas the Jews are made to the image of God, and a remnant of them will one day be saved, and whereas they have sought our protection: following in the footsteps of our predecessors We command that they be not molested in their synagogues; that their laws, rights and customs be not assailed; that they be not baptized by force, constrained to observe Christian festivals, nor to wear new badges, and that they be not hindered in their business relations with Christians.”

You wrote: "That's it for now . . . I'm exhausted."

Well, I can imagine, it must exhaustive constantly kicking "against the goad.”
Very Happy
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:05 pm

MRyan wrote:
”tornpage” wrote:Let's quote Br. Andre in full:

Yes, brother, Our Lord did an explication de texte of the OT prophecy of Elias's return: He said St. John was the "Elias" that was to come (Mt 11:14) but apparently he [Our Lord] was "mistaken" as to St. John being Elias as well. So how does Br. Andre deal with Our Lord's "mistaken" explication de texte - by citing Mt. 17:11.

No, Mark, Br. Andre never said that our Lord was "mistaken" about “St. John being Elias as well”, he said, “many of the people… were mistaken”, and then “Our Lord even referred to Saint John as Elias”, which He certainly did without mistaking him for Elias in the flesh - but referred to him spiritually - as a metaphor. Read him again, you should know better than to suggest Br. Andre would accuse Our Lord of being “mistaken” about anything.

Concerning Mt. 17:11, when Our Lord declared that “Elias indeed shall come, and restore all things”, He was speaking of the end times, precisely as Malachi prophesized:

“Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord. He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse” (Malachi 4:5-6).

So, yes, Malachi could be read as referring both to the Messiah in the Flesh (through Elias=John the Baptist), and in the End Times (through Elias). Our Lord spoke about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD and the Apocalypse precisely in these "singular" terms. But, in the context of Mt. 17:11, it should be clear He is referring to the End Times.  

John the Baptist said the prophecy from Isaiah 40:3 applied to him, while simultaneously maintaining he was not Elias (John 1:23). This was true because there would be two advents, and the disciples, right after the Transfiguration (with the appearance of Elias), were still in the dark about His 2nd Coming, and because they seemed to believe that they were already in or at least very near the end times, there is a sense we could say they were right, for IF Israel had accepted Jesus, that was what would have occurred. Jesus alluded to this when He answered:

“And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elias who was to come” (Matthew 11:14). This verse suggests that John the Baptist would have been a complete fulfillment of the ministry of Elijah as Jesus’s forerunner—IF Israel had accepted Jesus as its Messiah.

I’ll close with just three testimonies to this truth:

St. Robert Bellarmine in De Summo Pontifice (I, 3):
"the coming of Enoch and Elias, who live even now and shall live until they come to oppose Antichrist himself, and to preserve the elect in the faith of Christ, and in the end shall convert the Jews, and it is certain that this is not yet fulfilled."

Pope Innocent III in Regi Francorum (a letter about the Jews to the Kings of France and Germany):
“not displeasing to the Lord, but rather, acceptable to Him that the Dispersion of the Jews should live and do service under Catholic Kings and Christian princes – the remnants of which then will finally be saved (Romans 9:3-24), since in those days Judah will be saved (Jeremiah 33:6-26) and Israel will dwell in mutual trust.”

Pope Martin V, Declaration on the Protection of the Jews, 1419:
“Whereas the Jews are made to the image of God, and a remnant of them will one day be saved, and whereas they have sought our protection: following in the footsteps of our predecessors We command that they be not molested in their synagogues; that their laws, rights and customs be not assailed; that they be not baptized by force, constrained to observe Christian festivals, nor to wear new badges, and that they be not hindered in their business relations with Christians.”

You wrote: "That's it for now . . . I'm exhausted."

Well, I can imagine, it must exhaustive constantly kicking "against the goad.”
Very Happy

Well, we won't convince each other I'm afraid. Which one of us is pigheaded? Neither I hope. We're both convinced by our views, but would change them if confronted with a better argument. Right? Right.

Think about your reading of Mt. 11:14. So, "if" the Jews accepted John, he would indeed have been "Elias"? Was Elias on standby wherever he was  - I believe Ann Barnhardt said the "gorden of Eden," wherever that is,  or was it somewhere in the bowels of earth? - with the possibility of his mission being aborted "if" the Jews accepted John? What about the prophecy that said Elias would come? If John could be Elias, if the Jews accepted it, then it looks like indeed the Scripture was speaking of an "office or function" after all, and not the physical prophet of the OT.

Are you familiar with Dispensationalism? It's a rage with the Prots. With your "if" the Jews accepted it argument, you sound like a Catholic Dispensationalist.

Anyway,  what Mt 11:14 is saying, or rather what Our Lord is saying, is that "if" you accept it - if you have ears to hear it (Mt. 11:15) - John is Elias . . . whether you have ears to hear it (accept it) or not.

Contemporary Catholic translations make this clearer:

New Jerusalem Bible

11 In truth I tell you, of all the children born to women, there has never been anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of Heaven is greater than he. 12 Since John the Baptist came, up to this present time, the kingdom of Heaven has been subjected to violence and the violent are taking it by storm. 13 Because it was towards John that all the prophecies of the prophets and of the Law were leading; 14 and he, if you will believe me, is the Elijah who was to return. 15 Anyone who has ears should listen!

. . .

NABRE

11 Amen, I say to you, among those born of women there has been none greater than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent are taking it by force. 13 All the prophets and the law* prophesied up to the time of John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah, the one who is to come. 15 Whoever has ears ought to hear.

John is the "greatest" of all the OT prophets because he is the Elias foretold . . . as Our Lord said.

Hey, those Conciliar heretic translators get some things right.  Sedevacantism and the Church's  Indefectibility 1f600

I look forward to listening to the answer with you, St. Robert and those popes in heaven some day. . .  [tornpage says Act of Hope here]

tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:18 pm

Act of Hope

"O My God, relying on Thy infinite goodness and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer."

One of my favorite prayers.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  MRyan Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:18 pm

tornpage wrote:Act of Hope

"O My God, relying on Thy infinite goodness and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer."

Amen. A part of our morning prayers, a favorite:

Prayer of Repentance
(taken from Psalm 51)

Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness. In your compassion, blot out my offenses. O wash me more and more from my guilt and cleanse me from my sins.

My offenses, truly I know them; my sins are always before me. Against You, You alone, have I sinned; what is evil in Your sight I have done.

Cleanse me that I may be pure. Wash me. Make me purer than snow. Give me back the joy of Your salvation. Sustain in me a generous spirit.

O Lord, open my lips and my mouth will speak Your praise. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
MRyan
MRyan

Back to top Go down

Post  tornpage Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm

MRyan wrote:
tornpage wrote:Act of Hope

Amen. A part of our morning prayers, a favorite:

Prayer of Repentance
(taken from Psalm 51)

Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness. In your compassion, blot out my offenses. O wash me more and more from my guilt and cleanse me from my sins.

My offenses, truly I know them; my sins are always before me. Against You, You alone, have I sinned; what is evil in Your sight I have done.

Cleanse me that I may be pure. Wash me. Make me purer than snow. Give me back the joy of Your salvation. Sustain in me a generous spirit.

O Lord, open my lips and my mouth will speak Your praise. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Mike,

I like that. My morning prayer is the Scriptural Rosary of the Sorrowful Passion, so I was unaware of this one. I like it much.
tornpage
tornpage

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down