Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus Forum (No Salvation Outside the Church Forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Unity of the Body (the Church, Israel)
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 8:46 am by tornpage

» Defilement of the Temple
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 7:44 am by tornpage

» Forum update
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptySat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am by tornpage

» Bishop Williamson's Recent Comments
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm by MRyan

» The Mysterious 45 days of Daniel 12:11-12
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyFri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am by tornpage

» St. Bonaventure on the Necessity of Baptism
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 7:06 pm by tornpage

» Isaiah 22:20-25
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:44 am by tornpage

» Translation of Bellarmine's De Amissione Gratiae, Bk. VI
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 10:04 am by tornpage

» Orestes Brownson Nails it on Baptism of Desire
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyThu Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm by MRyan

» Do Feeneyites still exist?
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 am by Jehanne

» Sedevacantism and the Church's Indefectibility
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm by tornpage

» Inallible safety?
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyThu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm by MRyan

» Usury - Has the Church Erred?
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:05 pm by tornpage

» Rethink "Feeneyism"?
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 8:40 pm by MRyan

» SSPX cannot accept Vatican Council II because of the restrictions placed by the Jewish Left
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyFri Jan 05, 2024 8:57 am by Jehanne

» Anyone still around?
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 11:04 pm by Jehanne

» Angelqueen.org???
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 am by Paul

» Vatican (CDF/Ecclesia Dei) has no objection if the SSPX and all religious communities affirm Vatican Council II (without the premise)
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Piazza Spagna - mission
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am by Lionel L. Andrades

» Fund,Catholic organisation needed to help Catholic priests in Italy like Fr. Alessandro Minutella
USCCB announces revised edition of NAB EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am by Lionel L. Andrades

USCCB announces revised edition of NAB

2 posters

Go down

USCCB announces revised edition of NAB Empty USCCB announces revised edition of NAB

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:52 pm

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=110503

7-January-2011 -- Catholic World News Brief

USCCB Announces Revised Edition Of New American Bible

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has announced it has canonically approved the publication of New American Bible Revised Edition (NABRE).

The first edition of the New American Bible (NAB), published in 1970, immediately became familiar to Catholics in the United States because of its use in the lectionary at Mass.

A revised translation of the New Testament, which appeared in the NAB’s second edition (1986), included more traditional diction (“blessed” replaced “happy” in the Beatitudes) but made concessions to horizontal and vertical inclusive language (the Holy Spirit was referred to as “it,” rather than “he.”)

In the third edition (1991), a revised translation of the Psalms appeared that systematically introduced inclusive language to the Psalter. Thus, “blessed the man” (Ps. 1:1) was replaced by “happy those.” In 1994, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments rejected the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ request to include the new edition of the Psalter in a revised lectionary.

Under the Congregation’s direction, a committee of bishops and scholars made changes to the revised New Testament before its use was permitted in the revised lectionary. The Holy Spirit, for instance, is rendered as “he” in the revised lectionary; “rejoice, O highly favored daughter” (Lk. 1:28, 1970 edition), which had become “hail, favored one” (1986 edition), in turn became “hail, full of grace” (revised lectionary). The revised lectionary appeared in two stages (1998 and 2002).

The forthcoming fourth edition, according to the USCCB, aims at making use of the best manuscript traditions available, translating as accurately as possible, and rendering the result in good contemporary English. In many ways it is a more literal translation than the original New American Bible and has attempted to be more consistent in rendering Hebrew (or Greek) words and idioms, especially in technical contexts, such as regulations for sacrifices. In translating the Psalter special effort was made to provide a smooth, rhythmic translation for easy singing or recitation and to retain the concrete imagery of the Hebrew. The NABRE is approved for private use and study. It will not be used for the Mass.

Back to top Go down

USCCB announces revised edition of NAB Empty Re: USCCB announces revised edition of NAB

Post  DeSelby Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:40 pm

What about the faith-destroying footnotes?
DeSelby
DeSelby

Back to top Go down

USCCB announces revised edition of NAB Empty Re: USCCB announces revised edition of NAB

Post  Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:48 pm

DeSelby wrote:What about the faith-destroying footnotes?
No mention of them. Perhaps they will cut out the footnotes all together? We can hope.

Back to top Go down

Post  columba Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:27 pm

This is a good article on the state of the current NAB by a Fr Neuhaus

http://www.adoremus.org/0306BibleTranslations.html
columba
columba

Back to top Go down

USCCB announces revised edition of NAB Empty Neuhaus Origenism and Von Balthasar

Post  Guest Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:00 am

I find it interesting how a guy like Neuhaus can give a good critique as Columba posted but at the same time be a "universalist," like Von Balthasar, they both seemed to be semi-Origenists. One friend of mine who was thinking to become Catholic after being a Potestant didn't because it looked like JPII was agreeing with Balthasar in Jp's book "Crossing the Threshold of Hope." that Hell was empty. (?) Here is what Neuhaus wrote:

"Among theologians and church historians, there has been something of a
rediscovery and reappreciation of Origen in recent decades, helped along
in significant part by the voluminous writings of Hans Urs von
Balthasar. The universalism question came in for broader discussion with
the publication of Balthasar's little book Dare We Hope “That All Men Be Saved”? (1988). Balthasar's is a very careful argument, clearly distinguishing between universal salvation as a hope and universal salvation as a doctrine. He supports the former and rejects the latter. In sum: we do not know; only God knows; but we may hope.

While my book Death on a Friday Afternoon,
published last year, is intended not as an exercise in systematic
theology but as a poetic-devotional reflection on the seven last words
from the cross, I do indicate there my essential agreement with
Balthasar's position. I confess to being caught off guard by the
vehemence of some criticisms on that score, and not only from putative
defenders of orthodoxy who have personal axes to grind."http://www.firstthings.com/print/article/2009/02/will-all-be-saved-30?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=500&width=700

What do you all think? Isn't this a little strange for an "orthodox" priest to hold?
Plus when I look at Ignatius Press they really promote Von Balthasar but never mention this problem, as far as I know, --it is a problem isn't it? I mean "Hell is empty" doessn't agree with Our Lady of Fatima. I know that Fr. Fessio, owner of Ignatius Press, is supposed to be best friends with Pope B16, so is B16 on board this weird theory too? It is weird right?

Back to top Go down

Post  columba Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:11 pm

It is indeed weird. Besides Fatima we have Holy Scripture and even the Lords words to confirm that hell infact is populated but to what extent we just don't know.

This new theology of hope is most confusing. It does not appear to be the supernatural virtue of hope that is being drawn upon in thes instances but a mere human hope that even sometimes goes contradictory to what is already established as matters pertaining to the triths of the faith.
columba
columba

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:16 pm

This of course is weired and evil and is to be eaten by the dragon. Such a theroy should be flushed down the toilet and, considered worthless.

Catholics need to know and frequently contemplate on the fact that few are saved. Our Lord Jesus Christ revealed that the road to Heaven is straight and narrow and few find it, while the road to Hell is wide and taken by most (Mt. 7:13).

Matthew 7:13- “Enter ye in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there are who go in thereat. How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life, and few there are that find it!”

Luke 13:24- “Strive to enter by the narrow gate; for many, I say to you, shall seek to enter, and shall not be able.”

Scripture also teaches that almost the entire world lies in darkness, so much so that Satan is even called the “prince” (John 12:31) and “god” (2 Cor. 4:3) of this world.

1 John 5:19- “We know that we are of God, and the whole world is seated in wickedness.”

They should consider this thought that Saint Leonard of Port Maurice gave on the fewness that are saved:

Saint Leonard of Port Maurice [A.D. 1676-1751], on the fewness of the saved: “After consulting all the theologians and making a diligent study of the matter, he [Suarez] wrote, ‘The most common sentiment which is held is that, among Christians [Catholics], there are more damned souls than predestined souls.’ Add the authority of the Greek and Latin Fathers to that of the theologians, and you will find that almost all of them say the same thing. This is the sentiment of Saint Theodore, Saint Basil, Saint Ephrem, Saint John Chrysostom. What is more, according to Baronius it was a common opinion among the Greek Fathers that this truth was expressly revealed to Saint Simeon Stylites and that after this revelation, it was to secure his salvation that he decided to live standing on top of a pillar for forty years, exposed to the weather, a model of penance and holiness for everyone. Now let us consult the Latin Fathers. You will hear Saint Gregory saying clearly, "Many attain to faith, but few to the heavenly kingdom." Saint Anselm declares, "There are few who are saved." Saint Augustine states even more clearly, "Therefore, few are saved in comparison to those who are damned." The most terrifying, however, is Saint Jerome. At the end of his life, in the presence of his disciples, he spoke these dreadful words: "Out of one hundred thousand people whose lives have always been bad, you will find barely one who is worthy of indulgence."

You are right Cowboy it does not agree with our Lady of Fatima. Here is a quote from the book written by William Thomas Walsh called Our Lady Of Fatima:

“Lucia found Jacinta sitting alone, still and very pensive, gazing at nothing. ‘What are you thinking of, Jacinta?’ ‘Of the war that is going to come. So many people are going to die. And almost all of them are going to Hell.’” (Our Lady of Fatima, p. 92)

Jacinta of Fatima, who had visions of future events, said that of those who would die in World War II almost all of them would go to Hell.

Hell is empty? What a deceiver.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Ya know, I thought this stuff was just internet form theoretical stuff, just something to be debated, with no effect on ordinary life. But, I just joined the Knights of Columbus and one of the officials was having a drink with me and the subject of correct doctrine come up and he asserted that hell was empty!!!! I was shocked!!! I mean I expect theoretical theory is to be explored on an internet forum "hypothetically" BUT this was real!!! He seriously thought HELL was EMPTY!! I just couldn't explain to him that narrow is the gate. I brought up Fatima but he just laughed. There was a Deacon there but said nothing to defend me. This is in the most conservative Novus Ordo parish in my city!!!!!!!!!!!! So what do they think in the most liberal? The sedis are starting to make sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

Back to top Go down

Post  DeSelby Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 am

MarianLibrarian wrote:
DeSelby wrote:What about the faith-destroying footnotes?
No mention of them. Perhaps they will cut out the footnotes all together? We can hope.

I found this at this blog http://catholicbibles.blogspot.com/2010/02/nabre-answers.html:

"Last week, I mentioned that Mary Elizabeth Sperry, Associate Director for the Utilization of the NAB at the USCCB, was willing to answer some of your questions regarding the revised NAB (NABRE). She graciously took the time over the past week to answer some of them...."

"Question: I wonder if this means notes which are now in the NAB that are unfaithful to the Church will be removed or fixed.
The text, introductions, and notes of the NAB have received the imprimatur, signifying that nothing in the text is opposed to Catholic faith or morals. The revised Old Testament is undergoing the same scrutiny and will receive the same assurance of fidelity."

DeSelby
DeSelby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down